Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
As a computer audio newbie, I am wondering how best to maximise the sound quality from my HP Proliant N36L (no sound outputs) to my Caiman SEG DAC.
Thanks to Stryder5 (Gary) I have a decent USB cable, which is connected directly to my DAC.

Would I be better off getting an internal sound card (needs to be low profile to fit the PC) or a USB device before the DAC?
So far I have used HP ProLiant Microservers 3 times for audio work and mostly used USB. One of the servers now being used by Adam of this parish. He ain't complaining (so far).

Couple of times I've used a dac without USB so used a Vlink 192 to make the connection.

All sounded just great.

Clearly the quality of the Dac will have the greatest impact on Sq. A well shielded USB cable able will also help things.

So long as your Caiman has asynchronous USB input I'm sure you will be very pleased with the Sq. Ask Stanley which USB yours has.

What software are you using on the Microserver? There may well be useful things to do on the computer to optimise things (mainly to ensure there are minimal other background processes happening).

Via Tapatalk