The Reference Lenco Pt CXI - It's starting again!

OK, the experiment has begun! I will own two Lenco GL75's, one stock and one an experimental reference TT, I'll be keeping both. So, the old Lenco was purchased originally for parts but it was saved when I noticed that it was made only several weeks before I was born. So I decided to restore the deck and keep it as part of my collection. I've been wanting a new TT project for ages and haven't really seen anything that floated my boat. I never really finished my Lenco journey and I wanted to do so much more with the GL75 TT's. I have been quitely collected pieces of kit for the stock machine, I'll update you all in a later post. The first thing to do was repair the plinth. As we can see it's had a bit of a bash.

The back end had been smashed in. The whole point of this experiment is to try and reproduce as close as possible how a stock GL75 would jave sounded in 1973 (when I was born). A smashed plinth is not going to achive this. So, after a little wood glue and a few clamps we have this.

The underside of the plinth is still a very very clean and tidy black, I'll not be respraying this, there is no need, the paintwork is excellent. I have bought some Teak oil. I did manage to oil the plinth and this is now how it looks.

The rubber grommets which help protect the GL75 form vibration are knackered. Here we can see them removed from the deck and are very badly mishapen. The good news is that I have ordered a replacement set from Sweden! These Swedish grommets are about as close as your going to get to the originals.

I have also cleaned the plinths rubber feet with cleaning products, they appear to be in good condition so I've kept these. There are other exciting developments which I'll detail as things arrive through the post. I will be replacing new parts on the deck and will over the next few weeks and months completely go through the deck. It's going to be a slo' blo' resto! The real fun will begin when I build the new reference TT and start comparing all the lovely new add-ons and upgrades that are now available to a lovely old stock machine.

Stay tuned...