+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The discrete TC-7520(SE)(+) line output

Default The discrete TC-7520(SE)(+) line output

I drew up a discrete output stage for the TC-7520 and Caiman to hear how it would sound. Leo built a prototype of it on stripboard and I did one as a 'proper' PCB. I wanted to find a solution for the low output of the passive mod and preserve the headphone output capability, but didn't want to go overboard with a complex discrete opamp type design. The gain required is only between 2X to 4X so a single ended class A design with just 10% negative feedback was all I felt that was necessary. No need to crack a nut with a sledge hammer .

It's the best I have heard my D7000 and HD800 sound to date. I managed to pick up some detail in musical passages I thought I had explored to the full.
    Time for a retake on all my test tracks .

I'm Jerry.

I will start with the most obvious question! Will it be commercially available?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Great work Stan! its been hard keeping quiet yours looks better than my knocked up version on vero Mines basically just the transistor stage so I've not tried it with the HA op-amp yet, I'll see if I can squeeze the op-amp on there too

Simple where possible is certainly good in this case
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Rob.

Are you going to give us the schematic?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    I will start with the most obvious question! Will it be commercially available?
    If there is enough interest. To save cost I can perhaps just make the boards but leave the opamp socket empty. That way people can use their existing (expensive or otherwise) opamp. I have tried some non-polarized caps from Jackson, but I also fitted a couple of Rubycons I scrounged off Tirna.
    Without the opamp I can try to aim for £30 plus postage. Might be a bit more or less, depending on identifying any hidden costs. Or I can perhasp do a fitting service for those who are scared to swap the PCB over by themselves.

Any suggestions on this?

By the way Leo, any words of advise for the guys on what you thought about the performance?

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Could one of the opamps be re-used from the original board? (Sorry if that is a daft question - I'm assuming yes, but just to check as I never got into rolling them.)

If it improves on the already amazing Passive Output mod then at £30 (give or take) it is a no brainer - I'll have one please Stan!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post

By the way Leo, any words of advise for the guys on what you thought about the performance?
    TBH I think the caps I used are adding more signature than the circuit which is a good thing. What I want to do is use the same caps as whats used in passive out mod.
    Its definitely better than the original stock op-amp stage (IMO) . Compared to the passive mod it gives a noticeable higher output and seems more full in the mids . Reason I want to change the caps is to be sure its not those adding more in the mids

I've used it with both an active line amp and straight into a power amp using the dac as a linestage, it works well (for me ) in both locations .
    Cheers,
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Could one of the opamps be re-used from the original board? (Sorry if that is a daft question - I'm assuming yes, but just to check as I never got into rolling them.)
    That's the whole idea so that cost can be kept down.

Around £30 seems a good deal to me especially when you compare it to a lot of these other discrete op-amps floating about on the net at least with this it fits straight into the dac without having to mess about
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Are you going to give us the schematic?
    I'll take that a "no" then
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast