+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: Beresford Bushmaster DAC

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Berghofer View Post
    Stan,

what was the reason for the international English way of writing „Digital to Analog Converter“? I think in Great Britain the variant „Analogue“ is used. At least that’s the way it was spelled on your former two DAC models.
    The printers couldn't get the bottom print any smaller and still get the top and bottom to align. It looked a bit wonky with the extra lettering so I made the decision to use the American spelling this time. But because the process is not a mass produced one I have enough leeway to make suitable adjustment down the line. I am also trialing a brushed aluminium fascia with laser cut lettering. They both cost more to make. The brushed aluminium needs a special coating so that it doesn't oxidize over time.

synsei Guest

Looking very classy Stan, I wants it p-p-precious!!!

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post

Unlike the cheap and cheerful two piece case from my previous DACs, the Bushmaster is made out of precision laser cut panels. The holes are then individually burred out into a cup shape. This process is a lot more expensive and really reserved for one off proto types or expensive high-end stuff. But as promised last year, I intended to launch a statement DAC. It is a minor statement, but hopefully it is good enough to demonstrate that Bushmaster owners are not buying a budget DAC. It will take a lot more than what I charge for anyone else to produce something of a similar quality and finish.

Great job on the design - solid and sexy looking. Maybe a thin tinted transparent plastic trim instead of the gold trim around the volume control and blue LED lighting the trim from behind would be cool, and practical I think.

I am fully willing to pay the extra for variable out. Slightly gutted, if I'm honest, that the first ones will be fixed only.

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Is there a planned release date and price yet?

Looking good by the way stan,the next big upgrade for the digital side of things for me,will be the dac.This has all the features i need,hope it can do the business!!

I look forward to everyones's opinions on it when it is released!!
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkineater23 View Post
    Great job on the design - solid and sexy looking. Maybe a thin tinted transparent plastic trim instead of the gold trim around the volume control and blue LED lighting the trim from behind would be cool, and practical I think.
    I tried that but the Bushmaster is a very quiet DAC. With the LED in the volume control knob switched ON, the LED noise could be heard in the background. Very low level, but maybe not OK for some/many. I shall keep experimenting though and implement it of I can find a better solution.
    The plastic trim would have to be custom made from a molding. The mold maker wants U$6000 for that....

I am fully willing to pay the extra for variable out. Slightly gutted, if I'm honest, that the first ones will be fixed only.
    I am working on a variable output version that has one of the lowest output impedance of any DAC on the market. It is designed to drive longer cable runs such as the ones I have seen on a set of wall mounted active speakers.
    But I am also working on a add-on box that is intended to have options for USB, MC/MM phono, etc. slot in cards.

Quote Originally Posted by kininigin View Post
    Is there a planned release date and price yet?
    Barring any mishaps in the currency exchange, you are looking at £149.99 excluding VAT and delivery. That will be rounded down to £189.99 delivered to the UK, or £194.99 to other EU countries. I am hoping that at that price it will drift under the radar as a budget DAC and not attract too much attention from the more expensive offerings until it is too late .
    Last edited by StanleyB; 28-05-2012 at 17:34.

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

OOOhhhhhh that's tempting at that price!!

I was going to wait till around christmas to get something,lets see how long i hold out for

I assume there's a waiting list?
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I am working on a variable output version that has one of the lowest output impedance of any DAC on the market. It is designed to drive longer cable runs such as the ones I have seen on a set of wall mounted active speakers.
    But I am also working on a add-on box that is intended to have options for USB, MC/MM phono, etc. slot in cards.
    To keep everything within budget it would be counter-productive to add more bling to the Bushmaster, it looks fabulous just the way it is. Silver rather than gold highlights might be the way to go Stan as I guess this would be cheaper to implement (just a matter of machining the base material I suspect). It's none of my business what your profit margin is per unit but as it will be selling at the lower end of the market it would be inadvisable to mess around with the cosmetics at this stage for economic reasons.

Slot in cards for the add-on box is a great idea

Default Headphone output

I was reading about the current output capability of a certain highly regarded DAC, which was quoted at about 130mA. The Bushmaster was designed to be used as a digital headamp capable of driving even difficult loads like the K701 and HD800 with ease and confidence that would put many stand alone headamps to shame. It has a massive 500mA headphone output drive capability, which can deliver and hold bass frequencies below 30Hz in headphones that are capable of producing such low frequencies. With some headphones quoting frequency capabilities as low as 5Hz, the Bushmaster with its low frequency ability all the way down to DC had to have a credible solution for these low bass capable headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    It's none of my business what your profit margin is per unit but as it will be selling at the lower end of the market it would be financially inadvisable to mess around with the cosmetics at this stage.
    I make very little. The cost of the various parts alone is more than 50% of my selling price.
    But as my sales are factory fresh I can afford to make a margin that retailers would consider far too low for them to make a living from. It is a deliberate ploy by me to offer maximum bangs for bucks. Realistically speaking, you would have to pay £250 to £300 if you had to buy it from a hifi shop.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast