+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Last DVD/Blu-Ray purchase?...

I'm Gary.

Along with my annual Christmas viewing of Die Hard, (shot on film, so looks great in 4K) thats my telly sorted for the next few days.

Both looked great on Streaming,
    Can't wait to see what proper 4K HDR from a disc will look like.

Last Of Us is in Dolby Vision,
    Sadly Prey is 'only' 4K HDR10, but the disc has the Comanche dub, which is how I would choose to watch it again.
    How cool is that?
    Some of the dialogue took me out the movie when watching it streamed on Netflix... "You got this" etc seemed a bit too modern?

Recently rewatched the Japanese anime 'Akira' in 4K with original 1980's Japanese Dub, (in 24/192, the original Score is an astonishing sounding thing) and I couldn't believe how different the movie felt, meaning of dialogue and emotions of charcters etc.

Prey is gonna be a doozy to watch again.
    Best Predator film since the original, though have a soft spot for the Danny Glover sequel Predator 2.
    The other ones... naa, not so much

Fun Fact,
    Prey directly references something in Predator 2, very cool.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 24-12-2023 at 18:17.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

just in today...
    Gregory's Girl (4K UHD)

a classic
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    just in today...
    Gregory's Girl (4K UHD)

a classic
    Brilliant stuff from Bill Forsyth,

'That Sinking Feeling' also pure magic.
    In 4K too - old Glasgow never looked better.

What a great Poster!
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Brilliant stuff from Bill Forsyth,

'That Sinking Feeling' also pure magic.
    In 4K too - old Glasgow never looked better.

What a great Poster!
    never seen the 4k version but have the bluray on order
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

the other set i bought myself for xmas is just through the door.. never seen them all; just bits

Jurassic Park Trilogy 4K.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

That Sinking Feeling is a classic.
    Only on blueray I think,
    watched it for the 10th time on my trusty VHS back in the day.

That film,
    Its SO Glasgow...

So many '1 shot' great actors never to be seen again.
    You'll absolutely love it Grant,

Charming as hell (can tell its from the Gregory's Girl guy) and so well made.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Gregory 's Girl is a fine film, but a bit "twee".

'Local Hero' was a bit more for adults, but equally idiosyncratic.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    That Sinking Feeling is a classic.
    Only on blueray I think,
    watched it for the 10th time on my trusty VHS back in the day.

That film,
    Its SO Glasgow...

So many '1 shot' great actors never to be seen again.
    You'll absolutely love it Grant,

Charming as hell (can tell its from the Gregory's Girl guy) and so well made.
    not seen it since it was first out gary and have been hoping to get a good copy at a good price. finally got it at under a tenner.
    the ice cream one was fun too. not seen it for a long time either
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Gregory 's Girl is a fine film, but a bit "twee".

'Local Hero' was a bit more for adults, but equally idiosyncratic.
    love both but i think gregory and other characters; they were a bit of all of us at some time. headmaster was a classic too; chick i think
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

might add i think gregory was one of marco's absolute favs too...
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast