+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: iFi iPower for Raspberry PI

I developed an ADC input version of a DAC just for testing. In the end I abandoned the idea. The ADC input is very sensitive to digital signal noise inside the same case. I ran my phono preamp through it, and it was as if the original warm sound had been stripped naked. That double conversion process was not beneficial.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I developed an ADC input version of a DAC just for testing. In the end I abandoned the idea. The ADC input is very sensitive to digital signal noise inside the same case. I ran my phono preamp through it, and it was as if the original warm sound had been stripped naked. That double conversion process was not beneficial.
    As someone who's already had his MDAC upgraded very successfully by JW (L2 'Toy' FWIW), I keep a keen eye on the pfm MDAC uber thread. However I've concerns that the new FDAC's design is being compromised in order to accommodate too much functionality IMHO, last I saw CD/DVD drawer was being discussed, in addition to the ADCs...we'll see if a simplified product emerges in the end
    Cheers, Will

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    we'll see if a simplified product emerges in the end
    As far as DAC preamps go, I have seen the light . Secret notification list already opened.

I'm Richard.

Update time:

I'd wondered why things had gone downhill a fair bit recently and I'd lost interest in my system a bit. I even ended up taking out the iFi supply and replacing it with the old crappy SMPS I was using before it and found that brought things back a bit. I was beginning to wonder whether the iFi had gone faulty having read my original glowing review back and suddenly realising that things couldn't be right as they were (I'm glad I wrote that review now). I had to trace back to what had changed in recent weeks.

First of all I thought only one change had been made and that was moving from using PiCorePlayer as a Roon endpoint, to using the dedicated Roon endpoint build that Gordon from IQAudio very kindly provides for use with the IQ DAC. I was dubious that could be the cause but I switched back to PiCorePlayer just as a sanity check and sure enough - No difference. It took me another 24 hours or so to remember that the other thing that had changed was moving from a wireless setup with PiCorePlayer to having to use a wired connection as the Roon endpoint for IQAudio does not currently have any configurable options, so for the next test it was back to PiCorePlayer with the wireless dongle back in place - Bingo! iFi back to showing a good level of improvement over the standard SMPS. I guess that means that in order to have a wired network connection working well, I'd need a good power supply on my router as well... Think I'm going to stick with wireless for the time being at least.
    Rich

I'm Ian.

Nick
    I'm going to buy one of Jan Didden's SilentSwitchers that he reckons performs as well as if not better than the best LPS'. If you are interested I'll bring it over and you can measure it.
    Regards
    Ian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910