+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audiolab 8000CDM CD transpprt - replace with Cambridge Audio CXC?

I'm Simon.

Default Audiolab 8000CDM CD transpprt - replace with Cambridge Audio CXC?

Hi, My Audiolab 8000CDM is ~20 years old now. I replaced the Audiolab DAX with a Rega DAC a few years ago and now wonder if the Cambridge CXC would be an improvement on the CD transport.

Has the technology of CD Transports improved significantly?

I will only use it for CDs.

Any views would be appreciated.

I'm Geoff.

Take your CDM to a dealer that has the CXC on demo and ask to do a comparison. I personally would be surprised if you'd gain a lot by changing.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Take your CDM to a dealer that has the CXC on demo and ask to do a comparison. I personally would be surprised if you'd gain a lot by changing.
    I would be surprised if you gain anything at all. The Audiolab transport is a good one, not saying it can't be improved on, but a modern CD rom/or DVD drive equipped machine as opposed to a dedicated CD mechanism which the Audiolab has.... well in my direct experience they don't sound as good as the dedicated quality CD mechanism machines from the past. Upgrading the digital coax cable would be worth looking at too, as that cable is an important one.
    Regards Neil

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I would be surprised if you gain anything at all. The Audiolab transport is a good one, not saying it can't be improved on, but a modern CD rom/or DVD drive equipped machine as opposed to a dedicated CD mechanism which the Audiolab has.... well in my direct experience they don't sound as good as the dedicated quality CD mechanism machines from the past. Upgrading the digital coax cable would be worth looking at too, as that cable is an important one.
    I thought the CXC had a dedicated CD mechanism?

Not knowing which cable is currently used, perhaps it is premature to suggest an upgrade?

+ Reply to Thread