+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: techniccs sl-pg477a mash cd player opamps which to changer

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Kvaal View Post
    I have also tried the LM 4562. Not impressed. I have modded some cdp`s during the years, and always found the LM 833`s to be bad performers. I suggest you solder in some IC-holders to make easy swaps. Op-amps sound different in different circuits, and it is possible that the LM 833`s is ok in your cdp. The circuit is designed for them after all. Good luck anyway what you do!
    Hi Johan
    The LM833s do seem pretty good in the current set up, certainly pretty detailed sounding on the recordings, iwasnt expecting much looking at the pcb set out, compared to the older cd players i have.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    my sl-pg490 has had a NOS conversion,not sure if its relevant to this thread but it sure sounds good.
    Hi Jamie
    Thank you, i would like my ones NOS though. Its a different player though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    If you really want to improve the output stage, then it needs to be completely replaced.

For example here is an optimised for MASH DACs (the voltage output circuit in the article) tube output stage: https://www.scribd.com/doc/105561243...horsten-Loesch
    Hi Neil
    I plan to use silmicII, higher grade capacitor and films in the power supply, maybe diodes also to improve there, wimas in place of the ceramics around the DAC and opamps. With the muting transisotrs? I just desolder them out and solder the holes over? I wish i could understand that article, I will have to read into it more. I think the power supply as you said and thicker wire from PSU pcb to main PCB also, over the ribbon cable

Amps: Technics SU-V9, SU-V8 (black and silver), V8X, V4X ( 2 black, 1 silver) , G50 and SU-500
    Source:Technics SL-P990, P350, P477a,PG440a, Marantz CD40, NEC CD620 - TDA1541A, Philips CD753, Klein DAC, tuner and turntables Technics
    Speakers: Technics SB-6, Coral CX-5, ESM bookself (seas tweeters), Celestion Sl-6 (copper domes)

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by MaccaAu View Post
    Hi Johan
    The LM833s do seem pretty good in the current set up, certainly pretty detailed sounding on the recordings, iwasnt expecting much looking at the pcb set out, compared to the older cd players i have.

Hi Jamie
    Thank you, i would like my ones NOS though. Its a different player though.

Hi Neil
    I plan to use silmicII, higher grade capacitor and films in the power supply, maybe diodes also to improve there, wimas in place of the ceramics around the DAC and opamps. With the muting transisotrs? I just desolder them out and solder the holes over? I wish i could understand that article, I will have to read into it more. I think the power supply as you said and thicker wire from PSU pcb to main PCB also, over the ribbon cable
    No need to solder, just find the muting transistors and bend / cut them out. This defeats the circuitry and stops the horrible parasitic capacitance effects that sit on the sound. Your PCB will be labeled.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Neil.

Also, it is impossible to do a NOS conversion on a MASH DAC because oversampling is what makes it work in the first place.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Sam.

Thanks Neil
    I de soldered them the other day, sounds great, i really like the MASH DAC. I think opamps are actually suited to the player, so maybe try some SilmicII caps and Nichicon, and maybe wimas to replace the ceramic?

Amps: Technics SU-V9, SU-V8 (black and silver), V8X, V4X ( 2 black, 1 silver) , G50 and SU-500
    Source:Technics SL-P990, P350, P477a,PG440a, Marantz CD40, NEC CD620 - TDA1541A, Philips CD753, Klein DAC, tuner and turntables Technics
    Speakers: Technics SB-6, Coral CX-5, ESM bookself (seas tweeters), Celestion Sl-6 (copper domes)

I'm Neil.

If you replace the ceramics, use the smallest WIMAs you can find. Trace inductance matters a lot here, so don't be putting large size caps in, and keep the voltage rating down. Silmics are good for your opamp decoupling caps, I would use 100uf / 25v.

Also, a leftfield tweak, *carefully* mould a lump of blutack to cover your clock crystal.

I'm Sam.

Hi Neil,
    Thank you. i am trying to keep as close to the original voltage of 25v of the ceramics, saw some 63v
    http://au.mouser.com/Search/ProductD...S2.1%2f63%2f10 or maybe 2.5mm
    The tiny black are bps 22uf 16v, maybe 100uf 25v Muse ES. Around the DAC 330uf 6.3v, either 6.3v or 10v silmicII there. Thanks for the tip around the clock, will get some blutack and cover it up. opamps, closest is 100u 1** edit actually is 10uf 16v, my mistake **, and the other opamp they are 22uf bps

Last edited by MaccaAu; 29-04-2016 at 23:57. Reason: ** mistake

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12