+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I am a complete DICK!

I'm Steve.

Default I am a complete DICK!

Having dismantled everything in order to have a stove fitted in the lounge and some decorating done I thought I would settle for some headphone listening via my squeezebox touch and some AKG 712's. I duly unearthed the Touch from the storage room and plugged it in to try out the cans......fizz, pop, smoke and stink.

I have a dead squeezebox touch. I guess I plugged in the wrong power supply though I can't see how this was possible as I had only one stored with it!

Tis dead......woe....woe....woe.

Any ideas for a suitable alternative?

Would anyone like a dead one? Boxed!
    Steve

Never let anything cause you to doubt your ability to demonstrate the truth.

I would be interested in it. I have another blown one and I am trying to figure out if and how these things can be fixed. If I get it going again you can have it back. I am just technically curious why they blow up so easily when the wrong PSU is used.

I'm Steve.

Stanley B

PM me an addy and I'll dig out the box and ship it off to you tomorrow.

Cheers,

STeve
    Steve

Never let anything cause you to doubt your ability to demonstrate the truth.

I'm Thommy.

I am also keen to get my hands on a broken one, a friend built a linear psu for his SBT and it works really well.
    I usually DIY stuff

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by zygote23 View Post
    I have a dead squeezebox touch. I guess I plugged in the wrong power supply though I can't see how this was possible as I had only one stored with it!
    What is printed on the PSU you plugged into the deceased?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Alan.

I wonder if the polarity was reversed from the proper power supply?

Unfortunately there isn't a standard to whether the negative or positive goes to the outside of the dc connector

With a good design there should be a diode to prevent damage if the supply is reversed, but maybe not.

I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Thommy.

I'm not sure, but the PSU inside a SBT is tiny, and produces something like 3.3v & 14.5v IIRC. There's room for a diode in there but has small caps and probably with not enough headroom to cope with an over voltage supply. They would have been pretty stupid to forget that diode!
    I usually DIY stuff

I'm Thommy.

Was there any moisture in the storage room? Could it have been condensation on the pcbs causing a short? I had a PC explode once that had been in A cold garage for a few months. The dust inside the power supply had got damp, causing a moisture bridge at the mains input, resulting in a loud explosion when 240v was introduced.
    I usually DIY stuff

I'm Scott.

I have a sonos zp80 that I'm considering selling on eBay
    Make me a sensible offer and your set up again

+ Reply to Thread