+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have any experience of Tidal music streaming service?

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    If anyone can tell the difference between this at it's highest def and 320k MP3 then I'll stand tapping
    Dude

Who really gives a shit, its all about convenience, sound quality is important for sure but who really cares if 24/96 sounds better than 24/192 or crappy MP3 sounds better than apple lossless.

For me Tidal does sound great, someone else may say it sound crap, in the end its all about the music.

I'm rupert.

I think he was talking about the online test. Try it an let us know.

I'm Alex.

I am a subscriber, and I've got to say that it really is very good indeed. I can see that I will be buying many less CDs than I used to, and I was a dyed in the wool media collector up until this point. The catalogue seems pretty wide, and I am enjoying the curated play lists. For me the clincher is the integration with my squeezebox platform. It works very well with the sb touch and my four SB classics\sb booms dotted around the place. Playback is glitch free and I haven't had any problems supporting playback reliably over my (admittedly very fast) broadband connection and LAN. Sound quality is excellent, as you would expect given the lossless nature of the streams. I note that not all of their library is yet available in so-called 'hires' - some content appears to be 320k MP3.

I haven't really used the offline content mode of the app, and I'm not really interested in streaming from a mobile or tablet currently. I hope that in time I will be able to control play out via the SBT from the web player and ickstream, and the ability to seek backwards and forwards... It will be close to ideal for my needs at that point.

I've cancelled my Spotify premium account now.. £20 is a little spendy given the lower us pricing (20 USD), but I'm impressed so far, and its still early days.

Regards,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Chris.

Thanks for your input guys I will give the trial a go and see what I think.

I didn't realise there was a Squeezebox plugin. I can't see it in the 3rd party plugin section is it only available from the slimdevices forum?

Ok I see it! I need ickstream!
    Last edited by badsoden; 18-02-2015 at 11:11.

I'm Alex.

Squeezebox/LMS plug-in setup instructions are linked from http://wiki.ickstream.com/index.php/...eta_Squeezebox

Ickstream is the streaming transport used by tidal and other music services. The at form is in open beta so it is a work in progress, but it works very well for me so far and I'm using an obsolete Intel - based Linux NAS appliance for LMS, so my confidence wasn't high. One of the lead Ickstream developers is 'Pippin', who wrote the iPeng LMS front end, so the squeezebox platform is well served notwithstanding it is out of manufacture.

Cheers,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Chris.

Thanks for that.

I was about to give up on Squeezebox and sell all my kit but the recent issues with the BBC radio feeds reminded me what a great community it is and what a valuable resource to have supporting the devices. It was such a shame it was dropped!

I'm Chris.

Either my ears are better than I thought or its a very good marketing ploy! 14 days free trial!!

http://test.tidalhifi.com/

I'd be interested to know if anyone actually doesn't get it right?

I'm Mikkel.

Yes, Wimp owns Tidal. I subscribe to both Spotify and Wimp Hifi, which is the same as Tidal - all lossless.

I believe Tidal was Wimps (it's Norwegian) move into US and UK territory. Funnily enough Tidal launched here in Denmark two days ago, so thoughts are now around them merging all into the Tidal brand.

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by MCRU View Post
    Its superb. Sound quality is brilliant, lots of choice, cost does not interest me as I have read people whinging about paying £20 a month, its worth every penny as far as I am concerned.
    Prefer Qobuz as it effectively downloads, so no gaps or breaks in CD streaming, which I found a problem with Tidal. £20 is silly cheap for the amount I would have spent on downloads.
    Wilson, Luxman, Innuos, Holo May, Puritan, Garrard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12