+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cheap DVD player as a transport - ever tried it?

I'm Martin.

I don't think any soldering is required but you do need one of those anti-static set ups. If you can find a guide to doing it on line then you could have a go yourself, not really much to lose. No way is it a £75 job.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

OK cheers for that. I think I will investigate it further and maybe have a go myself. As you say its hardly got much sell on value as it is, so nothing to lose really.

I like everything really. From the britpop bands like UB40 right back to classic rock, like Wings. They're only the band the Beatles could have been.

I'm Phil.

I have frequently tried my msb cd 4 transport against my sony blu ray player and while the latter is very good , the msb was streets ahead . the sound seemed to come from half the speaker with the blu ray whereas with the msb it filled every pore and filled the room and sounded marvellous
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Krasimir.

Read and sorry to hear about your misadventures, Accudazed!
    Interestingly, my experience with one particular Pioneer DVD player almost perfectly matches the opinions of some of the people here.
    I have three setups and in the third one I use the Pioneer 656 DVD player feeding digits to an Advance Acoustic 305D integrated amp with a DAC. As it is my third setup (not even second), I do not care much about interconnects and use such simply left over from previous cable endeavors - and I have had many endeavors, which means I use cables that are certainly good but have been taken over by better ones.
    Hence, I never expected wonders from this combination. But I must emphasize that I find the sound surprisingly good - of course, using interconnects of reasonable quality.
    What is more, please, note, that I did not come to the decision by myself. I remember very well that I read an article in tnt-audio.com about 10 years ago in which there was a very detailed description of how one could easily turn a Pioneer DVD 656 player into a very good transport through some upgrade or a tweak. And the author strongly insisted that the Pioneer 656 DVD player was - or could be after some modding - a very good transport.
    I just tried to find this article but I can't. I have never made any attempt at upgrading or tweaking my Pioneer 656 - I simply started using it as a transport with a good coax cable - and it works well.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you finding a good transport but let me add that, IMO, using a computer, a good USB interface and a DAC is not only much more convenient but generally yields a better sound that using a CD transport and a DAC. Sadly, of course, but the CD player/transport is approaching its demise.
    Sources: Advance Acoustic MCD-403 & MDA-503, Pure Sound A-8000, HDD + old notebook + M2Tech Evo Power Supply + M2Tech Evo Clock High End Word-Clock-Generator + M2Tech HiFace Evo 24Bit/192kHz USB-Interface

I'm Craig.

It was the 'In Thing' about 4 or 5 years ago.

I used one of the old Tosh 330 award winning CDP's though a Stan DAC.
    It equalled whatever £1k plus CDP I had at the time.

I recall using a Pioneer 575 too....or was it a 757?
    Either way it was a real eye opener.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Krasimir.

I have made a mistake in yesterday's post where I explain that I use a Pioneer DVD player as a CD transport. The model number is 696, not 656. Here it is: http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/a...AV-S/page.html
    I am sorry - and hope not to have misled somebody!
    It is only now that I see that it plays DVD-audio and SACD! I bought it a long time ago, obviously the fact later escaped my attention. It seems to me that its ability to work well as a CD transport may have to do with its DVD-audio and SACD feature.
    Sources: Advance Acoustic MCD-403 & MDA-503, Pure Sound A-8000, HDD + old notebook + M2Tech Evo Power Supply + M2Tech Evo Clock High End Word-Clock-Generator + M2Tech HiFace Evo 24Bit/192kHz USB-Interface

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I recently put my old Marantz CD50se back into my system, used as a transport, which I haven't used for ages... but today I put back the Pioneer DV717 and I much prefer it to the Marantz setup...

I think these old Pioneer DVD players are very good, especially for the crazy low prices they are ..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Steve.

Hi Steve, don't know if you're still looking for a DVD player as a transport - I know the post is quite old now !

I've been using a Pioneer BDP LX-55 as my main source for CD's, USB ( plays FLAC / WAV from USB ) and Blu ray - it's been absolutely superb. I would only ever consider upgrading to an Oppo player -
    or a higher spec Pioneer - Flagship model. ( Arcam looks nice - can't afford it )... I do have a heavilly modded Beresford TC7510 Battery Powered DAC ( Deben Tracer 10ah Battery pack ) and the detail and musicality is simply breath taking. Love it.

Sorry to hear about the grief you've had - hope you get it sorted mate. All the best, Steve.

Edit. 10ah Deben Battery not 14 !!
    Last edited by Stresss42; 18-02-2015 at 19:36.

I'm James.

My recent experience of using a pioneer bdp170 blue ray player as transport with a caiman mk11 DAC was, OK sound wise, awful to use, I've recently 'upgraded' to a pro-ject CD box s as transport and the results are stark improvements even in my modest set up, jim
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Steve.

That's got me thinking now Jim...Is the laser pick up that different in a cd player than a blu ray ? Of course it's a different specification laser pick up ...but sent digitally to a Beresford Dac.

I was reading with interest some reviews on the TC7510 ( I have one ) and the reviewer - to my surprise had differing results with various transports.

Sorry if this changes the subject slightly everyone. I bought the BDP LX55 specifically for its rock solid transport. Wouldn't swap it anytime soon...Unless..Lottery.. ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast