+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Slot Car Racing

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    As I recall, the demon tweak was to go over the inside of the shell with a marker pen, the spray with Mum's hairspray, then spray with white piant. This resulted in a very 70's looking spotty blotchy finish. If only I'd had a camera at the time...
    If you were good you applied the coach lining first then the body colour..

I'm Nodrog.

I was thinking about the clip that opened this thread. I had been involved in slot racing since I was twelve years old, first as just a kid's hobby, then serious stuff at clubs and countrywide. Every weekend would see me at a different town and another race meeting.

One day at our local club, one of the guys turned up with a new American kit. 24th scale Chaparral by Cox I think it was. I had a quick drive and, as he knew I was going to a meeting the next weekend, asked me if I wanted to borrow it and see how it went against the big boys. Basically, it totally destroyed everything else, I don't think I de-slotted once in the entire meeting, the thing just went like the clappers - skill had a little to with it of course. That was the day, I knew that the hobby I was so into was going to change. Sure enough, the Americans took over with their technology and spoiled it for me - the end result is the wing cars featured here. I understand there are new clubs springing up who want to go back to the 'good old days' of scale models and limited technology. Problem is, it's going to be mostly old men like me who probably no longer have the reflexes to drive them properly. I suppose they will all be the same though. My Alfa was on the edge of what I could handle when I was in my early twenties.

The medal for that meeting is the only one I still have. All the rest disappeared with so many things when I split up with my business (and other things) partner.

I still have thoughts of building another track to play with before I get too old and Ronnie likes the idea - so do the cats. Might happen.

I'm Andr'e.

Gordon:
    When a hobby you have been interested in for years turns into a hobby full of smart arses with new fangled gadgetry then im out, this is what gets my goat with Hi-Fi more than anything & the reasons i go off on one regular. Im old school i believe & always will believe the old simple way is the best. If people want to call me narrow minded so be it.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Gordon:
    When a hobby you have been interested in for years turns into a hobby full of smart arses with new fangled gadgetry then im out, this is what gets my goat with Hi-Fi more than anything & the reasons i go off on one regular. Im old school i believe & always will believe the old simple way is the best. If people want to call me narrow minded so be it.
    I'm with you in many respects. Obviously, if it weren't for progress, we wouldn't be having this discussion at all!!

We are on satellite internet. Great advance except we have been offline since yesterday afternoon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123