+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Czech Radio upstages BBC

Quote Originally Posted by Krisbee View Post
    Linux distros have certainly progressed in the last few years . . .
    I once ran OS2 on a 486 with Windows 3.1 able to run in an OS2 Window. That was amazing - so was trying to install it from floppies.

I think IBM have a lot to answer for - the big firm woke up too late to the fact that desk top computers were going to take over from mainframes, so they rushed at the hardware - the IBM XT (yuk) and bought an operating system off a student called Bill Yates. Biggest technological mistake of the 20th Century. The world was stuck with Microsoft when there always were better alternatives.

I never owned an '86 box till Windows 95 came along, even them my Atari ST would do things Windows would not. (The Army owned the 486 running OS2 and Windows 3.1)

Apple played the "we are better than everyone else" and nearly lost altogether. They have increased their margins over generic PCs again, and seem to be getting away with it at the moment They all want their heads banging together.

Yes, I know, a modern Linux will beat MS and match the Mac (Which runs Free BSD Unix anyway!!!! The graphics is just shell!)

But isn't this thread well off course?
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Confused.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    It is part of Vista. Provided you have dowloaded the wasapi dll from the bottom of this page

http://www.foobar2000.org/components

and copied it into your Vista programs/foobar/components folder

you should be able to see the WASAPI option after restarting Foobar and looking in the Output pane. The buffer may need to be reduced to the minimum for WASAPI to work.

Use the same procedure for the Kernal Streaming (KS) option.
    http://www.foobar2000.org/components

If you have done that and don't see the options I can't help you. I am new to this too.

WASAPI, ASIO and KS all promise bit perfect playback, but may sound subtlety different. Why? Don't know>
    Hi Brian,
    Just got round to following the above instructions, with the folowing results: -
    WASAPI: -
    Loaded everything smoothly and persuaded foobar to play it. Limited to 16 bit output but sounded OK.
    Kernel Streaming: -
    Read the notes and recoiled at the description "experimental" so didn't go any further.
    This allowed me to compare WASAPI and ASIO4ALL. Whilst WASAPI was fixed at 16 bits playback (anything else was met with the error message 'Unsupported file') ASIO4ALL played quite happily with playback set at 32 bit. It also sounded better to my ears so I'll stick with ASIO for now.
    Any comments would be welcome 'cos I'm new to this too and always ready to learn.
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    Any comments would be welcome 'cos I'm new to this too and always ready to learn.
    I am barely one step ahead of you. Kernal streaming works OK for me. Others report a preference for ASIO. When using ASIO I think you need to set Foobar's Volume to Max (Windows volume too?). With WASAPI no volume control, nor anything in Windows mixer will do anything - the bitstream is passed through with no messing.

Edit:

There is a Foobar forum here

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...act=SF&s=&f=28
    Last edited by Labarum; 09-08-2009 at 16:26.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234