+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Attractions of a good CDP V's Stand alone DAC

I'm Frank.

I don't see the separate DAC as a new fad, personally. Apart from my first CD player, a Sony CDP101, all my CD playing has been through a separate DAC, Sony 702ES, Meridian 606, Stax DAX(?), Spectral SDR 2000 Pro, Goldmund Mimesis 20. I have an Audiosynthesis DAC too with added custom 48kHz clock for my DAT recorder, dual dacs and balanced output which I used to use playing back my own recordings.
    So as far as I am concerned it has always been a separate DAC, the only thing which has changed relatively recently is additions for computer audio such as 24/96 and 24/192 and USB inputs.
    It looks like a new fashion for DSD has just started being marketed to convince us all to re-buy all our music and "need" a new DAC.
    Cynic? Me?

I'm Martin.

I had a listen to a Young DAC in my system using a Parasound 1000 as a transport. It sounded pretty good and slightly different to the Parasound DAC but I couldn't hear it doing anything 'hi-fi' that the CDP didn't do on its own.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

I've used separate DACs for years. My Meridian 507 is no slouch as a stand alone CDP, but with even a Theta Choma DAC it improved. I went on to use a Theta DS Pro Progeny with it and things moved up a grade or two. The last few years I've been using Monarchy Audio DACs, I have the M22B and M22C, which both sound lovely. Adding a Monarchy Audio DIP adds even to this.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    . The last few years I've been using Monarchy Audio DACs, I have the M22B and M22C, which both sound lovely. .
    You don't need both. Giz one

I have no education at all in DACs. The Young and the XTZ are the only DACs I have heard in my system. Everyone forgets that the stand alone DAC practically died out from what? 1995 to 2003?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You don't need both. Giz one
    They're mine, all mine.

I've had at least a dozen DACs and believe me there are some very indifferent ones about. I certainly didn't get on with any of the Cambridge ones. I tried all of them.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Yes I forgot the Cambridge 840c I had. I used that as a DAC for a while both in standard and upsampling mode but I never really got on with it. I don't think I like 'analogue sounding' digital. I mean why not just put a record on if that's what you want?
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718