+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone using the Pioneer BDP-160 as a CD transport

I'm Alex.

Default Anyone using the Pioneer BDP-160 as a CD transport

Been looking for a cheap CD transport that has coax output for my BMII DAC. Also need to be able to play FLAC files as this is what i've been ripping CD's to.

I was thinking maybe the Pioneer BDP-160 as it's only $169 here. Has anyone got one of these that can comment on how they go with playing CD's?

The other option is to get the model up (the 450), though this is $400. Would the 450 be a big step up as a CD transport compared to the 160, or mainly just Blu ray features that are better? I see the 450 loses Wifi (needs an adapter).

I'm ILOB.

It will probably play files really well via well from the USB input on the player I no idea what it be like as a CD transport but probably not as good as that has been my experience with Blue Ray players that have USB input
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Alex.

It looks like most of the dedicated CD players don't have USB connection. Most of my music at the moment is via USB while i get my CD collection up so i think i might get the Pioneer to start with.

Then i'll look at getting a dedicated CD player down the track after i get my Receiver and sub amp that i still need This never ends does it...

I'm ILOB.

If you do not want to risk a lot of money a cheap Sony Blue ray sounds very good via USB as a Transport with the Bushmaster Sounds crap as a CD transport though
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm andrew.

I have a Chevron Audio modified BDP-150(Sabre dac board), I have a couple of usb sticks with Flac files on them and they sound excellent through the front usb input, I believe the usb input on the Pioneer is only for memory devices not a computer.
    You will have to connect a TV to the BDP 160 to read the files though, the music from the usb sticks sounds just as good as playing a disc.
    Don't know how a standard Pioneer would fare though but I imagine it would be ok through an decent dac esp if the dac re-clocks.
    Andy.

I'm ILOB.

As long as you can go to external DAC should sound fine

I'm Grant.

I have a bdp150 . Plays discs well enough and fine if u want a disc spinner plus bluerays
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I have a bdp150 . Plays discs well enough and fine if u want a disc spinner plus bluerays
    What is the wifi feature like? Can you stream with it or is it not much use?

If the wifi isn't worth it, i think i might go the 450 Pioneer as it is a better looking setup. It will be conected to a BMII DAC then a Adcom GTP-600 Preamp then my Topping TP60 power amp.

I'm Grant.

I believe you need to buy a dongle and the pioneer one is supposedly crap. I have never used it because of the reports. But its a great blue ray player very well built. The drawer is nice and smooth . I did a firmware update but had to put it on a disc as I don't have the dongle which is another 40\ 50 quid
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread