+ Reply to Thread

Thread: technics sl ps620a

I'm James.

Default technics sl ps620a

afternoon all , ive just purchased a technics sl ps620a cd player, yet to be delivered,other than a few marks to the top the ad stated its in full working order , never the less would it be a good idea to have it serviced, considering its age, late 90's i think ? thanks jim
    Last edited by Pieoftheday; 10-10-2013 at 14:53.
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Steve.

Is this the one that looks like studio gear?

I'm ChrisB.

It looks like this, I think,

....so probably not the one you're thinking of Steve

I'm James.

A lot of the old Technics players are nowhere near as bad as some like to think... Obviously dont expect top end musical insight & detail retrieval but they offer a pleasant 'bright & bouncy' presentation that works well for rock/pop.

I would suggest cleaning the lense with a cotton bud soaked in isopropyl alcohol & re-lubing the sled rails with some light machine oil... It shouldnt need anything else. If you're looking into improving the sound quality the analogue output stage uses 4 opamps that could probably be upgraded & 22uF/16v electrolytic coupling capacitors which could be upgraded to films.

I'm James.

the technics cdp didnt really do it for me, already moved it on and got my money back
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    the technics cdp didnt really do it for me, already moved it on and got my money back
    Looking at your kit list I'm not surprised ! That Technics firmly belongs in a richersounds special system... They made some good 'uns but the 620a wasnt one of them. I didnt like to say as you'd just bought it

Glad you managed to get your cash back

I'm James.

hi james, i had fond memories of a technics cdp from many years back, cant remember the model,rose tinted memories! marantz cd6005 on the way, oooh cant wait

+ Reply to Thread