+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swap electrolytic capacitors for solid state

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
    Polystyrene caps are normally very low in value (nF and pF) and used in filter circuits. I'm not aware of having seen any approaching 22uF. Did you mean polymer?
    A very good question - I am wrong, the Wima's at least were Metalized Polyester Film. I thought the 22uFs too (I forget the brand). I got them all from various group buys when I was modding Naim pres.

Photos of the amp and tuner below - whatever they are, they have transformed the sound compared to the previous electrolytics

Amp;

Tuner;

Richard

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

Those little red wima's are awesome. Unfortunately they are no longer in production. I have a them in the signal path on all the outputs in my Classe processor and a few other places too. I wish I could get hold of more. How on earth they made those values in that size, I have no idea. I have 2 left which will go into my ANT Kora i'm building now then thats it, all gone.

Like I said a real shame they stopped making them. Try finding a 10uF film cap with a 5mm spacing now!!!!
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

I'm Richard.

Oops - I used half my stock in my A&Rs...value of the caprts far outweigh value of the hardware Mind you, I also have a NAC 62 with them in, and will remove them again at some point (I think I prefer the tants in the Naim cct).

Richard

I'm Nobody.

If you can live with the LED display on those 'T21's they are a superb tuner.. I bought a brand new one when they first came out..

I'm mark.

Hi. Thanks for the replies.

I don't use solder but instead i use solder paste, i find this melts the solder with less heat.
    I place a blob on one leg, heat, then bend the capacitor to one side until it pops out. Repeat for the other leg.
    Place another blob of paste on the pad, heat with a weller soldering iron, then place the hot 2-in1 solder sucker on the other side of the board and suck up the solder, this always works but i was hoping for a good 2-in1 tool which removes the solder in one go.

Many thanks. John.

I'm Nobody.

What Oscon's are available for Audio these days the 'SP'?

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

SEPC is what I use andre
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12