+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sony SCD777ES tweaking

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Historicus View Post
    Hello Mark, thanks for your kind reply, but can't I simply use my SCD-777ES/SCD-1 as transport combined with a DAC through the existing digital output with a good digital cable without any tweak on the player? Certainly the SCD-777ES/SCD-1 wouldn't have the benefits of a direct upgrade (to listen the SACD) but in this way it could be for me much easier.
    Can you confirm me about the quality of the Benchmark DAC because some here in my country has some doubts on this product (maybe because Benchmark is a more computer involved company as actual hi-fi producers that, referred to their prices, change as Midas king in pure gold). Maybe I must listen to different DAC to find the right one on my gear. Here everyone prices the low costing Oppo players but, in reference to the original SCD-777ES/SCD-1 they don't sound as bad but even worse!

Merry Xmas,
    Piero
    Hi Piero

Absolutely, you do not have to modify the SCD-1/SCD-777ES to get better sound, adding the Benchmark DAC1 will do this. You will hear a substantial improvement in CD quality once you have added the DAC1. The Benchmark DAC1 is a truly excellent product, design, engineering and sound quality are first class.

The opinions of Hi-Fi are subjective, including my own. We do not sell the Benchmark DAC1 and you have an unbiased opinion based on listening to a wide range of audio products over several years. That said, the DAC1 is that good we may include it to our product range next year. The Oppo is a good product but not in the same class as the SCD-1/777ES + Benchmark DAC1.

Have a good Christmas

Best Wishes
    Mark Bartlett

Ciao Mark, thanks for your interesting note. I must simply hear Benchmark Dac 1 with my equipment! Even the new USB version (why not a firewire port?) sounds really cool and opens the widest musical perspectives. Bypassing the preamplifier is another incredible feature of DAC1 for a better sound.
    I found lots of qualified reviews (TAS, Stereophile, etc.) on Benchmark's site that now I'm reading with lots of interest. I saw that you (Audiocom) proposes even upgrades on Dac1 to make it sound even better.
    For many audiophiles that aren't so used to hear a jitter free sound they found that this converter hasn't a great presence and lacks on basses but I don't know how they are used to hear music.

I saw that a lot of people from GB bought from an ebay seller in Taiwan the very low priced (USD 180) DAC Valab NOS USB with 8 parallel TDA1543 - a good sounding Philips chip abandoned since years for the great jitter - (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ies%26_fvi%3D1) as a sort of little provocation I ask here what do you think about it?
    Last edited by Historicus; 30-12-2008 at 06:45.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234