+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My system :)

I'm Dave.

Well, the side blocks are, in fact, solid teak. I know this because the whole assembly was flat-packed and is self-assembly. Three huge boxes! In fact, the factory had difficulty in drilling the countersink holes at the bottom to facilitate assembly, and they had to send a replacement part to enable the whole lot to fit together. The wood was so hard and dense the drill could not drill the hole properly.

Anyway, it got sorted. The grain doesn't follow, because of the order I put the unit together. In hindsight, I suppose I ought to have taken more care, but didn't think of it at the time.

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by ursus262 View Post
    Well, the side blocks are, in fact, solid teak. I know this because the whole assembly was flat-packed and is self-assembly.
    Interesting, so it must be quarter-sawn then, otherwise I don't know how the darker vertical bands in the figure could show on both the front and the sides like that. Either that, or a veneer on the face edges, but why would anyone do that?
    Sorry, this is pretty irrelevant really - whichever way you (or they!) cut it, it's a lovely piece of furniture.

synsei Guest

Hi Chris,

All the Blok Stax side supports are solid wood, which is why their racks are so expensive. It's a nice piece of furniture too...

That's a very nice system you have there Dave, although I can't help thinking that your Thorens would be better off sat on the top deck of the rack...

I'm Dave.

True, but I've nowhere else to put the display panel.

It is a superb bit of furniture, and I intend to keep that for a very, very long time!

I believe now that I have the ultimate (for me anyway) hi-fi system. The Naim is built like a tank and it will last me a lifetime.

My strategy now is to buy (while the income is reasonably good ) the very best stuff that I will be satisfied with and which will last a lifetime. This is because the new job is only likely to last for three years and, after that, we are likely to downsize and have a simpler, stress-free life - so I want to get the good stuff before I find I can no longer afford it!

So getting the classically "good" stuff: Naim, Linn, Quad (any more I can add?) will be a good investment for me.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I really like that stand, looking for one myself right now in fact, so I think I need to buy you a beer for posting your pictures

Thanks
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Dave.

Thanks, Tim. Please make mine a Leffe Bruin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12