+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The French Connection to the Great American Sound

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thur View Post
    but they really sing, while in comparison the pair 1.6 only play.
    That's a really good way of describing the difference between components that are musical and components that are hi-fi

I'm Thur.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik van Voorst View Post
    Nostalgia....one of the very first serious audiophile speakers I heard for the first time in a home-situation listening room at a friend......
    I was stunned...never forgot that moment.....
    Hi Erik,

You are referring to the Jean Marie Reynaud Operas, I guess?

They truly ARE stunning, but need a lot of space to breathe. So in the room where I shelter my system the Magnepans do a better job. It's that simple.
    And for my own peace of mind I decided to stop searching any further: what I am listening to now is a/my perfectly balanced - enjoyment, preference, space and budget - hotchpotch.

So an audiophile delight? I don't know. But MY pleasure? Yes

(While my son is preparing a 70's/80's playlist for a party this evening ... I listen to Penderecki's Seventh Symphony 'Seven Gates of Jerusalem' (Naxos 8.557766). This is what matters, isn't it?)

Greetings,

Thur
    Last edited by thur; 28-05-2011 at 12:34.

I'm Stefaan.

Marvellous set-up Thur!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Looks great, and the Corbusier chair.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Looks great, and the Corbusier chair.
    Shame about the curtains.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Quote Originally Posted by keiths View Post
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Thur.

Quote Originally Posted by keiths View Post
    Err ... CURTAINS? WHAT CURTAINS?

I DO have the curtains ready, mind you. They are to be found somewhere deeply hidden in my bedroom wardrobe. (Just like I have my dishwasher somewhere on the ground floor in the scullery, still wrapped in cardboard so to speak, for 8 years already )

But first - just for fun - I'm going to incorporate my (good old) Lenco L78SE into the main system. Bought that one somewhere 1978. Never stopped turning.

I have ordered a Musical Fidelity V-LPS for that purpose. Nice

Greetings,

Thur.

Quote Originally Posted by thur View Post
    Err ... CURTAINS? WHAT CURTAINS?
    Just a little standing joke I make about liking to see people's curtains - I know a lot more about curtains than I do hi-fi!
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12