Just a quick update on the happy ending to this saga.

Richer Sounds notified me that the DAC board couldn't be repaired, and that they would need to replace it. Fair enough, I thought. The quotation was c£250 to fix, which caused me to suck my teeth a little, but I authorized them to begin the repair work.

About eight weeks passed, and I hadn't heard back from them so I started to chase for an update. Apparently they didn't have any spares stock, and were waiting for a batch to be send from China. I said that the repair had taken an unacceptable time amount of time, and because no definite timescale could be stated for completion of the repairs I wasn't prepared to wait any longer. At this point I was expecting them to waive the repair fee and return the player to me unfixed.

The customer services team exceeded my expectations and said that they would supply me with a brand new unit FOC, and that my third-party pieces would also be returned to me.

This is outstanding customer service, albeit with a little prompting from me, and a very generous offer given that the player was purchased in August 2008.

Hats of to Richer Sounds for their willingness to stand behind the product, and look after their customers.

Regards,
Alex