+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My 2019 Update Thread - My final system I think.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Gary.

Next thing I was wanting to do was finalise my vinyl setup.
    Had one of Alan Firebottle's terrific valve output phono stages, but I had a "cunning plan" for my LP playback...

My Dac has two i2s inputs, one of which was being used by the Oppo bluray player.
    So one spare.

Why is this relevant to a phonostage?
    I sold the Firebottle phonostage here on AOS and put the proceeds towards a rather unique (I think) product from, again, PS Audio.

They stopped production of these, but with my matching dac it was a no brainer to try and pick one up.
    Was lucky enough to get one from the last shipment sent to the UK, phew!

The Nuwave Phono converter.

Heavy solid thing, about the width of a Cyrus box but half the height.
    Sits quite inconspicuous on the rack, quite small in front profile but very deep:

Nice bit of kit this, some proper caps in there and a toroid transformer for the power supply:

As well as a standard phonostage analogue out to your amp, it has a few extra tricks up its sleeve, or rather on its back panel:

Digital Outputs.
    As well as the normal analogue out to your amp it can convert your analogue to digital 'on the fly' and send it to the Dac from it's digital outputs. In my case I take advantage of the i2s connection as my dac has the matching input.
    You'll notice it has a set of Phono inputs AND a second analogue input?
    That means anything you plug into it, FM Tuner, cassette deck or even a Reel to Reel, can be digitised and sent to the Dac, OR (from the USB output) sent to your laptop/pc as a digital file copy.
    Pretty cool.

You have a lot of control over the digital side of things through its menu system, where you can output the digital as 24/192 PCM or single/double rate DSD.

So double rate DSD file copies of your records, nice.
    PS Audio recommends 24/96, but haven't had a chance to play with this feature yet.

From the Menu you can:
    Set playback to mono/stereo and flip the phase, for those odd recordings that don't sound right to you.

Set the digital output - DSD or PCM as well as toggle the USB output on or off (reduces electrical noise apparently)

Further tweak the output settings:

You can adjust the gain to suit your vinyl setup (there are also dipswitches on the back panel for cartridge loading)

Theres other things in the menu, like adjust brightness, check firmware version, set display timeout and some other stuff.
    One thing I'd like to be able to do is dim the PS Audio logo like you can do with the dac, its very bright!

Sits quite neat next to the turntables PSU and under the deck itself, matches the Dac of course.

Chuffed I was able to get one before they were gone for good, don't see them up for grabs 2nd hand much.
    A no brainer with the i2s connection to the dac, (which sounds really really good) as well as the facility to digitise my LP collection, which is a project I'll get into when I have the time.

Its well reviewed too, so don't need to look elsewhere and can call vinyl done.
    https://darko.audio/2013/11/ps-audio...pre-amplifier/
    https://darko.audio/2014/01/ps-audio...ital-playback/

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...ono-converter/

All good stuff.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 02-01-2019 at 17:34.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread