Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
Ah I see.
No, not done anything to the Caiman other than the Gator. I'm a great believer in high quality PSU's and have gone down that road with all the other kit (Origin Live, TimeStep, PSxR and latterly a TeddyDock for the Wadia 170i) - I've only got Stan's upgraded PSU which I presume is a switch mode unit - what is curent thinking on the "best" linear PSU for the Caiman?

Steve
I think the SuperTeddyReg based supplies have come out as some of the best but I'm not sure if anyone has compared one of them against something like a Paul Hynes. Both Paul and Teddy make exceptionally good supplies but even something like a Maplin linear supply will probably provide better results than the standard smps. Saying that, upgrading the regulators to Murata or NewClassD versions makes a big difference when paired with a linear supply. The two mods just seem to compliment each other. I'd say the regs and linear supply will provide quite a big improvement. The other mods such as caps around the DAC chip usually produce a much smaller improvement.

Tirna Electronics offer the mods at reasonable prices if you don't fancy it yourself.

I can't wait to get my Gator fitted, I've just had too many other things on recently. My Caiman has the full set of mods done, including SupperTeddyReg supply, so Gator should push everything to the next level. Unfortunately when I did the passive mod I removed the pin headers that the Gator board sits in to make more space for big poly caps. Hence the reason I've not just dropped the Gator in. It'll take a bit more work in my case.

I really like the sound I'm getting at the moment with the passive mod in place but I am missing a little punch and drive that the Gator should fill in with it's active circuitry.