+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stan's PSU spike and noise buster

I'm Chris.

Default Stan's PSU spike and noise buster

Buried in this thread http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=186539 is the news that Mr.B is working on a PSU “spike and noise buster”.

Those with the know how and/or cash have gone down the linear PSU in pursuit of a better alternative to the stock TC-7520/Caiman SMPS, while Mr.B has suggested a Maplin CB radio PSU that can be fiddled to give a 15V DC output for use with the Caiman.

Personally, I think the Maplin supply is pig ugly, bulky, and has to be opened up and a trim pot adjusted. Not everyone has a multimeter to check the adjusted output and I wonder about its energy efficiency for all day usage

If Mr.B produces a little black box to go between stock SMPS and DAC that performs at least as well, if not better than the Maplin PSU, then I for one would prefer this.

I'd like to think there are will be enough interest amongst users of his DACs for Mr.B to bring this idea to fruition.
    Chris

Stuff

1. Linux PC with onboard HDA SB/ALC892 24/192 optical S/PDIF and/or USB > TC-7520 (Gator + LM4562NA) > Quad 306 > AVI Neutron 3
    2. Rotel RCD 965BX > TC-7520 ( Gator + LM4562NA) > Hd595
    3. Rpi B+/HifiDigi B+ (with isolation transformer) Running "SqueezeOnArch" - https://github.com/SqueezeOnArch
    Nonsense
    1. Belkin Pure AV (white) phono, Belkin Pure AV (silver) USB, QEd 79-strand speaker cable.
    2. MG belden digital co-ax

I'm Jerry.

I think its a great idea. As Stan has pointed out, it doesn't matter how the power supply works so long as the ripple rejection is right. Having invested in a home made linear supply I know it does make a big difference but it was only through the kindness and knowledge of an AOS member that I was able to obtain it.
    Making something readily accessible for everyone has got to be the right route.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Robert.

I tested my maplin psu recently and its giving out almost bang on 15V. Something like 15.02.
    Rob

+ Reply to Thread