+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pioneer PD-8700 player with Dim display, anyone know a fix

I'm Paul.

Default Pioneer PD-8700 player with Dim display, anyone know a fix

Hi all

Hope this is the correct section to ask this question. (Perhaps a Mod could move it if not)

I have an elderly Pioneer PD-8700 CD player, it does not get a lot of use as its a backup player used when I encounter a disc my usual player has issues with, although it works fine I have noticed the Blue display is a lot dimmer than it used to be. Is this an age related known issue with these players or is there a known fix to bring back the brightness levels.

I had a look through the service manual, hoping to find a brightness pot, but no such luck.

Anyone got any thoughts on a fix for this model.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm James.

Service Manual available on Elektrotanya FOC. ( https://elektrotanya.com/pioneer_pd3...wnload.html#dl )

Probably the Display Tube itself.

But you could check there is something like 2 to 6(?) Volts AC across the two pins at either end of the Display, Labelled in the Manual as AC1 and AC2
    Also check the Zener Diode D54, MTZJ18B/C. I am going to guess that's an 18 Volt Zener 'reversed' so AC1 and AC2 will have a DC Bias of -ve 18 Volts WRT 0.Volts
    Check C52 also, this may well have drifted in value over time.

If these are OK then I'm afraid it'll be the Display tube. Look for a donor player with a good display.

I'm Lawrence.

I had a rebadged Pioneer stable platter CDP and it had a very dim display. I've seen many similar ones so it's just the aging of the display I think.

I'm Alan.

Likely there is a thin film of dust on the display and/or the back of the filter window.

Cleaning these improves things slightly.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

+ Reply to Thread