+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CD Sound vs Streaming

I'm Rob.

The reason I started this thread was because I thought I ought to again try some of the stuff I used to listen to on CD. Most of it sounded good enough to me but as I have not bought a CD for years and like to find new stuff to listen to I have after about only a dozen CDs decided to call it a day.

Thanks for all the input...by the way Ali what is the player at post #16?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    The reason I started this thread was because I thought I ought to again try some of the stuff I used to listen to on CD. Most of it sounded good enough to me but as I have not bought a CD for years and like to find new stuff to listen to I have after about only a dozen CDs decided to call it a day.

Yes I was wondering that too. Looks cool
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Ken.

My experience is it is almost impossible to make a comparison between CD/Streaming.
    There are good CD's and good streaming feeds.
    Rarely do you get the same master to compare the two.
    Too many variables when streaming, the music player software you use makes a difference, as does the streaming service you choose and also the quality you subscribe to with that service. All variables that effect the sound. When I compared 5 services, using their basic subscription quality, there were big differences. Spotify was easily the worst and the best was a tie between Deezer and Qobuz. Difficult to establish which masters were used where, but Spotify never sounded as good as Qobuz/Deezer on any of about 50 tracks sampled, it was a very noticeable difference. I could never split Deezer/Qobuz on sound quality, very similar.
    I've just got a new Streaming/Dac, the Eversolo DMP-A6 Me with Linear Power supply upgrade. I tried my NuPrime CDT-8 Pro transport into the Eversolo DAC and like previous DAC's I've used it with, it sounded ok, but not spectacular. When I changed the RCA SPDIF connectors, on the DAC and Transport, to 75ohm BNC and used a proper 75ohm BNC lead, the Transports performance took a leap forward. So there are variables with the CD route as well. I use both and enjoy both, the beauty about streaming, is I can listen to lots of music, hundreds of pounds worth if bought on CD and save to favourites the few tracks or albums I like, then try and find the best mastered version of these, knowing I already like the track/album. My experiance with the Eversolo using File/stream/CD: https://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Eversolo/A6_01.html

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    My experience is it is almost impossible to make a comparison between CD/Streaming.
    There are good CD's and good streaming feeds.
    Rarely do you get the same master to compare the two.
    Too many variables when streaming, the music player software you use makes a difference, as does the streaming service you choose and also the quality you subscribe to with that service. All variables that effect the sound. When I compared 5 services, using their basic subscription quality, there were big differences. Spotify was easily the worst and the best was a tie between Deezer and Qobuz. Difficult to establish which masters were used where, but Spotify never sounded as good as Qobuz/Deezer on any of about 50 tracks sampled, it was a very noticeable difference. I could never split Deezer/Qobuz on sound quality, very similar.
    I've just got a new Streaming/Dac, the Eversolo DMP-A6 Me with Linear Power supply upgrade. I tried my NuPrime CDT-8 Pro transport into the Eversolo DAC and like previous DAC's I've used it with, it sounded ok, but not spectacular. When I changed the RCA SPDIF connectors, on the DAC and Transport, to 75ohm BNC and used a proper 75ohm BNC lead, the Transports performance took a leap forward. So there are variables with the CD route as well. I use both and enjoy both, the beauty about streaming, is I can listen to lots of music, hundreds of pounds worth if bought on CD and save to favourites the few tracks or albums I like, then try and find the best mastered version of these, knowing I already like the track/album. My experiance with the Eversolo using File/stream/CD: https://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Eversolo/A6_01.html
    Hi Ken, good to see you on here. I agree it is very difficult to properly establish differences due to the mastering variations between tracks used by the different streaming services and CD which as we know also has plenty of alternative source masters.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi Ken, good to see you on here. I agree it is very difficult to properly establish differences due to the mastering variations between tracks used by the different streaming services and CD which as we know also has plenty of alternative source masters.
    Hi James, I think we should just be happy when we find a version we like, regardless of the medium, it is after all, about the music, not the Tech.
    I had 4 different versions of Tubular Bells on vinyl, the original release was by far the best, anniversary and remastered just didn't cut it. I purchased 3 copies of the original, before I found a mint copy of it. Mint playback that is.
    Equipment wise, I've been reducing my box count and breaking my speaker set up down to smaller, more manageable chunks. The Yams were just too heavy for me to move, with arthritis setting in. I now have ATC 20 Pro II active monitors standing on a pair of BK 10" subs, much easier to move or transport to NEBO etc.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Hi James, I think we should just be happy when we find a version we like, regardless of the medium, it is after all, about the music, not the Tech.
    I had 4 different versions of Tubular Bells on vinyl, the original release was by far the best, anniversary and remastered just didn't cut it. I purchased 3 copies of the original, before I found a mint copy of it. Mint playback that is.
    Equipment wise, I've been reducing my box count and breaking my speaker set up down to smaller, more manageable chunks. The Yams were just too heavy for me to move, with arthritis setting in. I now have ATC 20 Pro II active monitors standing on a pair of BK 10" subs, much easier to move or transport to NEBO etc.

Your right Ken, just find a copy of the music that floats your boat. I have found most remasters just don't sound anywhere near as good as the originals. I found this to be very true recently when I bought some Kraftwerk original pressings on vinyl. There is no comparison with the remasters.

I think you certainly did more than most with the yummies to get the best out of them, a very long term project for sure. I must say your current speaker set up looks like it means business! I may try and get up to NEBO again so may see you there if I do?

I took a look at your website and write up on the Eversolo A6 streamer. I have been reading good reviews about this for some months. I think IIWI does a great review and mentioned the Linear power upgrade. The Eversolo A8 looks a serious piece of kit too.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post

Sorry didn’t see this, it’s a Lector CDP 7T mkii. A few years old but it had a complete new CDM12 mech last year, so should be good for many years to come. It sounds fantastic, good enough that I’ve shelled out another couple of hundred for some Telefunkens to hopefully eke out a little more from it.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

I think you certainly did more than most with the yummies to get the best out of them, a very long term project for sure. I must say your current speaker set up looks like it means business! I may try and get up to NEBO again so may see you there if I do?

I took a look at your website and write up on the Eversolo A6 streamer. I have been reading good reviews about this for some months. I think IIWI does a great review and mentioned the Linear power upgrade. The Eversolo A8 looks a serious piece of kit too.
    Yeh, the A8 looks impressive, both as a DAC and Pre. I have a Pass Labs XP-12 Pre that I love, otherwise it would have been on my shopping list.
    Some have said the Eversolo A6 is bright, I'm not finding that, maybe my Pass Labs is balancing that out as it is just the warm side of neutral. It has been described as a sound mid way between classic tube and classic SS.
    The Active ATC/Sub set up suits my listening room, as I'm almost near field. It has plenty of SPL when needed, 300w Subs, 200w Mid/woofer, 50w Tweeter. All discrete class AB Amps with big linear power supplies. All the filters are analogue and both are sealed box designs, so they integrate well.
    I will be taking my set up to NEBO on Feb 24th weather permitting.

I'm Martin.

Looks good that does Ken.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Looks good that does Ken.
    That set up may suit someone else's room who has a near field listening set up.........?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast