+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: File format

I'm Ian.

Default File format

Hi al lI just got a yamaha cd-s300 cd player that has usb port on the front. I would like to put my CDs on a usb memory stick for convenience. But was wondering if wav is better audio quality than flac to copy the cds to the memory stick any info greatly appreciated

I'm Alan.

Both wav and flac are lossless, flac has smaller file sizes as is a little compressed.

Check what file types are supported by the Yamaha.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Lawrence.

The vast majority of people say they are the same quality as though flac is compressed it is lossless.

A small number of people think wav sounds better so if you are concerned and you want to be really sure you can stick to wav but it takes up more space.

I'm Grant.

yup, flac is the daddy
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ken.

I use Flac and max 24/96, sound quality is superb. I doubt my gear would pick up on any details a higher Res would bring, if in deed those additional details exist, outside of what measuring equipment could pick up, I'm sure it would be beyond human hearing.
    WAV files are enormous, that's what finally clinched it for me.

I'm Martin.

it's the exact same data in both so the idea that they are different, let alone audibly different, is far-fetched.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    it's the exact same data in both so the idea that they are different, let alone audibly different, is far-fetched.
    Depends how each is mixed down from the original ultra hi res studio master.
    I sometimes find differences between resolutions and the hi res isn't always the best. I accidentally bought a CD quality download, not realizing I had already down loaded a 24/96 from the same album and link to the store. They definitely sounded different.
    The streamed version and download can also sound different, you pays your money and cross everything.
    Same with up sampling differences.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Depends how each is mixed down from the original ultra hi res studio master.
    I sometimes find differences between resolutions and the hi res isn't always the best. I accidentally bought a CD quality download, not realizing I had already down loaded a 24/96 from the same album and link to the store. They definitely sounded different.
    The streamed version and download can also sound different, you pays your money and cross everything.
    Same with up sampling differences.
    The two different resolutions are not necessarily the same master. Also how the down sampling was done could conceivably make a difference.

But we're talking about the difference between WAV and FLAC. Sampling rate has nothing to do with that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ken.

Sorry Martin, I wrongly presumed you were picking up on my point, about higher res than 24/96 not being discernible.
    Your right in principle, if the same oranges were fed in to each, but even WAV/Flac versions could have been processed differently when mixed down. So, so many unknowns and possibilities to cock something up on one version or the other.

I'm Grant.

all files ive ever bought i took on flac. used to buy a few from qobuz
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast