+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CD vs Streaming.

I'm Grant.

not really sure what the difference is tbh bar the touchy feely of cd cases
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I'm quite a lazy person after I've done my days work so streaming or having everything ripped and easy to access should appeal to me but for me something is missing. Theres no right or wrong is there, for me though, I enjoy using the silver disc
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Martin.

Browsing a physical library as opposed to scrolling down a screen?

I prefer to do the former. But it's not for everyone.

I'm not that bothered about the actual tactile bit. CD is not remotely as good as vinyl for that anyway.

Maybe there's an age thing too? When I was a teenager and got a new album it was like coming back triumphant from the hunt. You show the trophy to your mates.

For that reason I have emotional attachment to a lot of my LPs. Just taking one off the shelf and looking at the cover is an experience and a memory. My CDs are just a means to an end.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

I'm not that bothered about the actual tactile bit. CD is not remotely as good as vinyl for that anyway.

Maybe there's an age thing too? When I was a teenager and got a new album it was like coming back triumphant from the hunt. You show the trophy to your mates.

For that reason I have emotional attachment to a lot of my LPs. Just taking one off the shelf and looking at the cover is an experience and a memory. My CDs are just a means to an end.
    I get that an d I loved going through vinyl etc. Even CDs to a point but a good program will give you even more. Lots of info etc and you don't need a magnifying glass to read lol
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

I get that about vinyl, many happy hours In record shops, but I only have a few records left and really couldn't be arsed going back there. I have the emotional attachment to a lot of my CDs as I bought them in actual shops, though its Ebay or online shops these days
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    I get that about vinyl, many happy hours In record shops, but I only have a few records left and really couldn't be arsed going back there.
    You sold them all? I still have all mine and have kept back one SL1200 in case I ever get the urge, but not actually played one in years now.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

ive still got a good wedge of vinyl. never got round to moving them on. guess they will be worth a bit so maybe should think about it.... swell maybe not
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Phil.

Was using qbuzz and roon set up on a nuc , for a long time i was not always happy about the sound quality , it seemed to vary depending on the day , so i tried an old
    cd player with dig out to my audio note sig 2.1 dac , and the first thing that i noticed was lower noise floor and better timing , something to do with noise on usb or
    clocks maybe , now purchased a jays cdt2 mk3 , and now theres no dought in my mind it sounds better than streaming , even playing files from a hard drive requires the use of a pc of some type , phil.
    Phil.

I'm Sandy.

ive still got a good wedge of vinyl. never got round to moving them on. guess they will be worth a bit so maybe should think about it.... swell maybe not

I've been dabbling with streaming using a Google thingy that I had languishing redundant for years until I worked out how to connect it to my phone and laptop. A mate also lent me his iFi DAC to connect to my phone, to play with long term. All a bit of a faff except for the Google thing.

Streaming for me is like listening to the radio, i.e. something on in the background while I am busy with other stuff, good in the way that DAB is, but not for serious listening.

CD is better. I like going through the CD shelves, although vinyl is more tactile. If I stream something enough and like it then I will buy the CD or record...

Plus, buying the LP or CD supports the artist, whereas streaming gives them a fraction of a penny per listen...

I'm Sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanobsession View Post
    Was using qbuzz and roon set up on a nuc , for a long time i was not always happy about the sound quality , it seemed to vary depending on the day , so i tried an old
    cd player with dig out to my audio note sig 2.1 dac , and the first thing that i noticed was lower noise floor and better timing , something to do with noise on usb or
    clocks maybe , now purchased a jays cdt2 mk3 , and now theres no dought in my mind it sounds better than streaming , even playing files from a hard drive requires the use of a pc of some type , phil.
    I have tried several PC/laptop ways of playing music and they've all been OK. But that's it. Just OK. Not great for video either.

Listening to a Faure Requiem on CD right now, really delicate, but same recording on stream lacks presence and I'm sure is compressed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast