+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CD vs Streaming.

I'm James.

Had a comparison / evaluation today between CDP and FBA and tried CDP with off board DAC. Also streamed some material via Audirvana Tidal which has a 3 month trial period. I sourced the same material and mastering for all the tracks I used and kept the level the same as best I can with the Croft preamp.

The CDP used was the Rotel RCD 965Bx which use dual DACs and the ultra stable CDM4 disc transport. It is a dual bitstream CDP and uses high quality British Caps and a fully regulated high current PSU. The player also has a coax digital out so can also be used as a transport.

I used some ripped CD files so mastering was the same and I was pretty sure the tracks I picked off Tidal were from the same recording as best as I could ascertain.

I found that the CDP sounded close to the files using the same DAC which probably was not a surprise but it actually sounded better when I used the CDP own internal DAC.

I also listened to the same FBA material using the DAC with a DDC in the chain from the laptop and things did improve a fair bit. I could not replicate the same set up using the CDP as I did not have a coax to USB A cable and I am not sure if this is obtainable.

Comparing the Tidal streamed tracks was interesting and I felt they were very good. I only used regular 16 bit material and nothing hiRez.

So using the same material in each set up these were my conclusions.

1. Laptop SSD FBA + DAC + DDC gave best overall performance.

2. Rotel CDP using internal DAC.

3. Rotel CDP + DAC

4. Tidal streamed material.

I will try and dig down into the actual listening session and make some more comments on what the actual differences were later.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-10-2023 at 07:28.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by kirstysdad View Post
    I have tried several PC/laptop ways of playing music and they've all been OK. But that's it. Just OK. Not great for video either.

Listening to a Faure Requiem on CD right now, really delicate, but same recording on stream lacks presence and I'm sure is compressed.
    What's your streaming source/DAC? If you're using the Naim NDX that will need a good streaming system to make a fair comparison.
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 09-10-2023 at 06:45.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You sold them all? I still have all mine and have kept back one SL1200 in case I ever get the urge, but not actually played one in years now.
    Gave them to a mate ,I just couldn't be bothered at the time, no regrets. Kept all my cds thought ,would have regretted losing those
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm James.

Just a few more thoughts on the CD vs Streaming exercise I did the other day. I threw in the CDP with and without external DAC and the FBA as a local streaming comparison.

Albums used -

Love over Gold - Dire straits
    Come away with me - Nora Jones

These were my listening notes:

1. Laptop SSD FBA + DAC + DDC + Linear PSU (Dual output for both DAC and DDC)

This combination gave me the best overall performance and also happens to be the best combination I have used for FBA. The DDC really does help out the DAC but after some consideration I am not so sure if I was using a level playing field in that Audirvana may have contributed something else to the sonics here?

Anyhow I noted a greater sense of ease and fluidity using this combination. There was plenty of air and a naturalness to the sound. This also provided the best soundstage depth and width.

2. Rotel CDP using internal DAC.

The Rotel CDP used on its own was different but very close to equaling the FBA from the laptop and it really was down to preference here, others may have preferred the CDP. The Rotel gave a solid detailed and very smooth performance using its dual DACs and was almost analogue sounding. On consideration I felt maybe the top end was a tad rolled off but it was easy to listen too and much preferred using its DAC and analogue output.

3. Rotel CDP + DAC

Using a separate DAC with the Rotel sounded a little artificial. Something was wrong but hard to put my finger on it. I did not really enjoy this combination as much as listening to the Rotel using its own DAC. I will try again with a "better" DAC in future to see if I can get an improvement.

Not a million miles away from the CDP but somehow less engaging. Listening to the same tracks I have on file on the laptop resulted in a more vibrant, dynamic and vivid sound. I felt there was a noticeable difference between the streamed material and the FBA so this is why I scored it the lowest.

Again I must mention that Audirvana does influence the FBA as there are a number of parameters that can be changed and how much control it has over the routing of the files through the laptop.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Martin.

Tidal aren't necessarily using the same recording

Plus a lot of their catalogue is MQA so that may sound worse without full decoding.

What is the DAC? Does it have the same output level as the CD player?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    What's your streaming source/DAC? If you're using the Naim NDX that will need a good streaming system to make a fair comparison.
    You're quite correct...
    I've been faffing about with a few laptops etc. and a iPhone X into a iFi Hip-dac. But my usual is a Google Chromecast 2nd gen.
    For convenience Chromecast is "good enough". For serious listening I prefer the CDX... (which was as rough as a badger's until I had it seen to!)

I'm Sandy.

Not a million miles away from the CDP but somehow less engaging. Listening to the same tracks I have on file on the laptop resulted in a more vibrant, dynamic and vivid sound. I felt there was a noticeable difference between the streamed material and the FBA so this is why I scored it the lowest.

.[/QUOTE]

My experience precisely.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Tidal aren't necessarily using the same recording

Plus a lot of their catalogue is MQA so that may sound worse without full decoding.

What is the DAC? Does it have the same output level as the CD player?
    Rotel CDP is 2 Vrms and I think the DAC is the same.

I'm Andrew.

This has just replaced my Melco N100 and Bryston BDA-2 DAC. To me, it's superior.

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234