+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: TEAC VRDS 701T - Review

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    doesn't ring any bells. The old ones look great but they're £500 or so which is too much for something that might die in a week.
    Yeah that is a good point.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Phil.

want another transport at some point and the urd does not seem to be coming anytime soon

this comment in review rather made me doubt buying this product though

The drive system is, of course, the latest TEAC VRDS anti vibration device (the clue's in the name) but the draw itself is as plasticky and flimsy as something you would find on a no-brand DVD player. Okay so this makes no difference to sound quality but in my view it's not acceptable on a 'flagship' unit.
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm David.

Hi Macca,

I've been meaning to ask as I had been considering the Teac as a replacement for the Levinson, is it a major step up in sound quality from your Audiolab 6000 ?
    It's certainly a price hike.
    Mark Levinson 390S CD / Audiolab 6000 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    Hi Macca,

I've been meaning to ask as I had been considering the Teac as a replacement for the Levinson, is it a major step up in sound quality from your Audiolab 6000 ?
    It's certainly a price hike.
    My impression is that it doesn't sound exactly the same. I wouldn't really say it was better or worse. In theory at least, it should sound identical.

It's not a 'major step up' I can say that for certain, but then I wasn't expecting it to be.

I just wanted a draw loader that I also liked the looks of, and in that respect it was the only game in town.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Audiolab 6000 responds well to simple mods, plays nice with good power and digital cables as well as isolation and case dampening.
    Substantial jump in sound quality for not a lot of outlay.

Didn't disgrace itself into a very good dac, may be all the Transport you need.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Audiolab 6000 responds well to simple mods, plays nice with good power and digital cables as well as isolation and case dampening.

Didn't disgrace itself into a very good dac, may be all the Transport you need.
    I think as long as you can live with the looks and the slot loading/general ergonomics it is certainly all the transport you will need. I cannot fault it for sound quality.

One other thing it has the power lead on the wrong side making cable dressing a bit harder. TEAC has it on the same side as my pre-amp and DAC. Okay it's a small thing but it's a thing.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm David.

Thanks for confirming. That'll save me a few quid in the future then.
    I'm actually using my 6000 as transport into the Levinson 390 at the mo and I'm absolutely loving it.
    Mark Levinson 390S CD / Audiolab 6000 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    I might well regret this but............. who would I speak to about mods ?
    I'm using Missing Link power and digital cable currently, which I've been more than happy with.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think as long as you can live with the looks and the slot loading/general ergonomics it is certainly all the transport you will need. I cannot fault it for sound quality.

One other thing it has the power lead on the wrong side making cable dressing a bit harder. TEAC has it on the same side as my pre-amp and DAC. Okay it's a small thing but it's a thing.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm James.

Martin, I think you need to upgrade your CDT already!

https://twitteringmachines.com/revie...-cd-transport/

If you got plenty of cash to burn!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast