+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spotify - how to get best quality ?

I'm Steve.

Default Spotify - how to get best quality ?

I currently use tidal through an Auralic aries bridge streamer. Tidal sounds good, not as good as my cd player and if I'm honest I've never really gelled with the user interface and can't easily find plstlists and albums etc.
    Now spotify I really like the interface using an ipad as the source and connecting through the Auralic shows the notable difference in quality (and volume bizzarely!) Spotify sounds thin and a bit empty in comparison.
    Is there a way to get better quality out of spotify?
    Would a streamer with spotify embedded into it be better sounding?
    Ready knock tidal on the head.

I'm Hugh.

Have you checked your Spotify settings to make sure that you're set to the max 320kbps output?

I'm Geoff.

Spotify will not sound as good as Tidal because its files are compressed. Despite repeated claims that it will offer CD quality streaming, Spotify has yet to do so.

If anything, buying a better quality streamer will only make the quality differences more obvious.

I'm Grant.

Spotty will not go to uncompressed afaik. Their 320 is pretty good tho for what it is.
    Qobuz is imo better than tidal overall. Cheaper too I think.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Possibly/probably the difference to your CD player is because Spotify have a different mastering of whatever album you're comparing.

Spotify is lossy but most people can't tell the difference when tested. But you have to compare apples to apples i.e the same master on both.

My advice - buy the best masterings on CD while they are still cheap, use that for serious listening. Spotify for background music and checking stuff out.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Spotty will not go to uncompressed afaik. Their 320 is pretty good tho for what it is.
    Qobuz is imo better than tidal overall. Cheaper too I think.
    Quobuz (£12.99) is better if you really want hires and cheaper than Tidal (£19.99) if you do. Otherwise Tidal has a more extensive library and a cheaper plan if you are happy with CD quality (£9.99) - I am. I use Tidal for serious listening and Spotify ($duo plan for my wife and me) for travelling, sharing, playlists etc - yes Spotify is streets ahead for ease of use and probably has the largest library.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Barry.

Are you using the free or paid version of Spotify? The paid version has better audio quality.

I'm Steve.

I use the paid one.when I was using Spotify through apple TV into my dac, it wasn't too bad, its just noticeably poorer than Tidal hifi (25.99 a month!) Now I'm using the auralic. I could buy a lot of cds with that money nowadays.
    I'm just wondering what is the best quality you can get out of spotify in terms of hardware and how it is configured really or am I already there?

I'm Martin.

Lots of 'Get the most out of your spotify' type videos on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...gigure+spotify

No idea if their worthwhile or not.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Go to settings...playback

Turn off....enable audio normalisation
    Turn off....mono

There’s equalisation, mine is turned off......play with it on and adjust if you want.

Settings...audio

Streaming.....very high

Turn off......auto adjustment

If I remember correctly this should get you good quality

Gary

Forgot this is Spotify app, no idea on your hardware.
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast