+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The discrete TC-7520(SE)(+) line output

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Am I correct in assuming that the Gator is now a higher current ouput buffer with a low(ish) impedance now "properly" able to drive a power amp as a conventional preamp would?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Received mine this morning, capp'ed, installed and running.

Thanks Stan for a swift service
    Graham

Squeezebox 3 -> Caiman (Murta'd, Gator'd) -> Starfish -> Charlize 2 -> Heybrook HB1
    Hibernated: Dual CS-505-1/Nagaoka MP10; AKAI AA-R30 Receiver; Sony TC-K611S Tape; Marantz CD65DX; Sonic Impact T-Amp
    In the body shop: Hacking a 405-2

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Hi Hamish, as I mentioned in the 2nd line that starts this thread off:
    I wanted to find a solution for the low output of the passive mod and preserve the headphone output capability, but didn't want to go overboard with a complex discrete opamp type design. The gain required is only between 2X to 4X so a single ended class A design with just 10% negative feedback was all I felt that was necessary. No need to crack a nut with a sledge hammer .
    So yes, the output is higher than the passive mod by about 3dB. And yes, you have plugged it the right way round.
    Compare the Gator versus the original audio board in order to get an idea of how much an improvement the Gator is. Output level should be the same on the fixed output, but higher on the variable output.
    Then compare the Gator versus the passive mod. Sound quality should be about the same, but the gain of the Gator will be higher. The dynamic range should also be greater with the Gator, and the bass speed should be better than the standard audio board.
    My original board isn't very original to be fair, but I will have some time on comparison soon ... It was mainly about retaining the improvement I got from the passive mod and getting back headphone use ... And that seems to be exactly what has happened - I missed the bit in your post about extra volume but that is a happy bonus as I have a more useful volume control in my set up now ... With the passive mod I had to turn the control quite far round to get good level and then it was difficult to get the level just right for some reason...
    It does seem to sound very slightly different from the passive mod, a bit less laid back, but that could be just the extra volume...?
    What ever, I'm very happy with it ... The sound seems as good as it has ever been and it has all it's functionality! So yeah, cheers again for your efforts!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Bernie.

Still waiting for mine to arrive.
    Bernie.

I added an additional 'aftermarket' modification option for the headphone section that will allow soldering savvy Gator owners to refine the headphone output and get it to match their headphones more closely. The reason why I added this extra modification option is because of the wide range of headphone impedances and bass depth level. The standard configuration is set to comply with the EU directives on headphone output level safety. But once the Gator has a wider ownership audience I'll sit down and describe the headphone output mod.
    The HD650 has frequently been accused of having a lazy bass. The standard Gator quickly turns that HD650 in a punchy bass performer. And that's to mention just one headphone that I have tested it with.

I'm Jerry.

I had a bad 10 minutes after fitting the Gator board. Horrible distorted sounds. Twiddled all the cables but no joy. I was just about to PM Stan when I had an idea. I disconnected my Lightspeed and plugged the dac directly into the amp. Perfect sound. I guess its just an attenuation issue, maybe Goldenjacks or something is required.
    Anyway I am very happy with the result, I hadn't bothered with the Passive mod as I wanted to retain the headphone facility and was fed up with all the cap comments. Just to be different I asked Stan to fit some Nichicon FK caps so YMMV but the difference, to me, is marked. The speakers seem to disappear and I feel like my chair is closer to the stage or microphone.
    So I think I will try headphones next and crack open a bottle.....
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Rob.

I wonder what the output impedance of the Gator is.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I would recommend the Caiman in your set up. The 2Vrms output would be far too much for your power amp, which has a very low sensitivity if I remember correctly.

I'm Jason.

Gator received yesterday - thanks Stan! just gotta get 5 minutes to fit it now...
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I hope one or more of the Gator owners could pen a few quick lines about their early impressions . Next batch of Gator invoices are going out next week .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast