+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DAC: Geshelli JNOG2 (AKM) [aka J2]

I'm Graeme.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I have been interested in the Geshelli Labs DAC for sometime with the AKM chip so will be interested to hear your findings.

I expect the Sparkos op amps may sound the best
    Well, initial impressions matched those of the Original Poster of this thread. Good DAC, but not outstanding. The addition of the Sparkos OpAmp certainly helped, but the further addition of a linear power supply really made a difference! Now I'm getting the power and depth of stage that I was hoping for. I only added the LPSU yesterday afternoon, so perhaps there's more to come but I'm happy with the Geshelli.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    Well, initial impressions matched those of the Original Poster of this thread. Good DAC, but not outstanding. The addition of the Sparkos OpAmp certainly helped, but the further addition of a linear power supply really made a difference! Now I'm getting the power and depth of stage that I was hoping for. I only added the LPSU yesterday afternoon, so perhaps there's more to come but I'm happy with the Geshelli.
    LPSU have always made a difference in my experience especially when used with DACS at the cheaper end of the market so not surprised you have had an uplift in performance. Another area to consider is to try and remove as much RFi or electrical noise away from the DAC with whatever means you can.

I experienced how significant this can effect any digital components the other day when I used a mains noise conditioner near my DAC / LPSU / DDC. However it certainly wasn't a budget item as it cost nearly the same price as my entire system!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm BaskingInTheTriumphOfRealityOverHope.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    I'd be interested to know the LPSU make / model / spec if you're happy to share.
    Kevin

Main system:
    Sources: EverSolo DMP-A6; Sony UHP-H1 (disc player)
    DAC: Denafrips Pontus II
    Pre amp: Quad Artera Pre (is also the main headphone amp)
    Power amp: Willsenton R8 amp (running JJ E34Ls) / Aiyima A07 (with Sparkos SS3602 Op Amps)
    Speakers: Dynaudio Special 40s with Van Damme UP-LCOFC (4mm) cables
    InterConns: Tellurium Q Black XLR; Morrow Audio MA4 - pre 2018 (analogue RCA); Mark Grant (coax x1); Atlas (coax x1)

I'm Graeme.

Quote Originally Posted by RockAddict View Post
    I'd be interested to know the LPSU make / model / spec if you're happy to share.
    I used a 12v Chinese ZeroZone ultra low noise LPSU from ALIExpress - but, I see the same model is also available on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113191206...Bk9SR4aK28aqYg Delivery was pretty quick, and I did not have any unexpected delivery/import fees.

I chose that particular model for a number of reasons: physical size - it is a similar size to the Geshelli, the R-core transformer - I've always had good experience with this type, price and the 30W rating - more than enough juice!

Make sure to ask for a 5.5mm x 2.1mm plug on the DC cable.

I'm James.

Just seen a review of the Geshelli JNOG2 socketed AK4499EX with Sparkos Op amps. If and when I buy another DAC this will be top of the list.

I like the fact you can custom build this DAC and change OP amps and use better PSU to upgrade but I think I would just buy it with the Sparkos Op amps off the bat.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123