+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some changes to the small room

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol - remind me of that?

The Moggie is my wife's, but she's getting a new one

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Audio Analogue Maestro

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Funny that you mention this as this is exactly what i also find Once you get below the frequency of the lowest standing wave the room can produce all the bass is incredibly tight & detailed simply because the room can no longer mess the sound up at those frequencies

I'm getting very decent bass right down to 15Hz that can be both felt & heard in a room with the longest dimension of just over 4M.

Bigger rooms simply lower the frequency that the room can react with & this probably explains why a good friend of mine is never content with the sound of his system, he can't get the bass right no matter what he does

E2A:- I'm not a gamer but those screen shots look rather good to me - Enjoy
    Agreed Mark

The room the Ushers came out of was about 5 times the size but had a bass hump at about the 80hz mark, if anything, my little room seems to suck the bass out for some reason, I've had some fair sized speakers in there and you'd think the woofers had been disconnected.

For a bit of daft I set the system up firing across the room instead of down its length and talk about boom, I'd have got decent bass from a pair of tweeters, which meant I could have got away with some small standmounts, but me likes big speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Audio Analogue Maestro
    Sorry, mate - I don't remember anything about it. I don't even remember having met you.......

Where and when did we meet exactly?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Lol

You don't remember driving all the way to Darlington in said Moggy Minor and going home with the heaviest amp in the shop?

I used to help out at Hifisound before he moved shop to Stockton.

I also remember really liking those big Spendors of yours when we came to collect it.

Just as you typed that I remembered who you are! How's it going?

It was a McIntosh integrated amp I took away, though, not an Audio Analogue Maestro...

Don't you remember it got damaged in transit and developed a fault? That's why you guys had to come and pick it up.

It was a pity, as I really liked that amp, and would've bought it had it not been faulty. Jeez, that could've sent me on a whole different direction in terms of my system!

I got into valves, big time, shortly after that...........

I had an LP12 too in those days, if you remember? The Spendors have been gone for over a year now. These days I have huge Tannoys, which make the Spendors look like toys!!

Marco.
    Main System

God yeah, it was the bloody Mac Tosh, my apologies, one of the res caps had snapped its pins and fell off the pcb, I rated it too, till then.

Have you got those Tannoys in that same room?

I still liked the look of those Spendors but cant remember the model number, remind me and I might go hunt a pair down.

God yeah, it was the bloody Mac Tosh, my apologies, one of the res caps had snapped its pins and fell off the pcb.....
    ...probably from rattling all the way back down to Wrexham in the Moggie!

The Mac certainly had potential.

Have you got those Tannoys in that same room?
    Yes - and bloody hell do they work well!

They're 'Lockwood Majors' with 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds inside and bespoke high-grade crossovers.

Here's a wee pic for you:

It's a wonder you can't hear them from Redcar!

I still liked the look of those Spendors but cant remember the model number, remind me and I might go hunt a pair down.
    They were SP100s, in Rosewood, from Spendor's 'Classic range'.

Marco.
    Main System

How in the hell did you get the buggers up the stairs, your worse than me.

Have had the Cheviots and the Ardens so know where your coming from and why you like em, oh, and had a pair of Tannoy 10" dual concentrics recessed into the parcel shelf in the car at one time, driven by a 2 x 50 watt Nakamichi car amp, them were the days.

Gonna keep an eye open for a pair of SP100's, a man can never have too many toys.

How in the hell did you get the buggers up the stairs...
    That's when you enlist the help of your Tannoy-owning mates!

My mate Ian has a pair of Canterburys in a set-up nearly as mad as mine

Tannoy 10" dual concentrics recessed into the parcel shelf in the car?

Here's a pic of the Spendors, as they once were:

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast