+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Audiolab 8300CDQ please

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ian View Post
    I have been using a toshiba sd9500 as a transport, thi serious high end build but swapping to the audiolab dedicated transport gave a small but noticable improvement in detail and clarity
    Betters my modded Oppo 203 as well, by quite a margin.
    Zero issues here Phil with scratched discs, quiet as a mouse in operation too.

Remember reading of a minority of folks that has their 6000CDT scratch discs, all around the same time.
    (Big thread on AudioGon)

I suspected a bad batch, Friday afternoon job.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

I read about the scratched disc thing some months ago. Took a brand new CD ran it in and out three times, not a mark on it.

I have discs that have been in and out of the Audiolab about ten times, still play perfectly.

I suspect that the people who complained about this either had some sort of fault issue with theirs, or, more likely, they made a mistake and their discs were already marked.

Also worth noting that a CD is relatively robust, a few blemishes on the surface won't cause the sound to skip or drop-out, it has to be fairly serious damage to create unrecoverable read errors.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

With slot loaders, there is a greater potential likelyhood of leaving thumb marks on the disc as it is offered up and inserted. Greasy fingermarks can cause the laser to defocus and 'skip'. That is my only concern with slot loaders.

I have a slot loading CD player in my car - perhaps I should test it out.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12