+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2565737475

Thread: My 2019 Update Thread - My final system I think.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

See if he still does the Ikemi silver wire mate, had that done on my Mission arm and was well worth it to my ears.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Gary.

IMPROVING CD PLAYBACK ON MY OPPO 203

The Oppo is an awesome thing, as good as you've heard, and even better after modding.
    Already done extensive upgrades on it over stock, see here: https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...ajor-Oppo-mods

Its my Roon endpoint, endgame level movie player and my current CD spinner.
    Sounds really great, trounced my modded Audiolab 600CDT, but there was that last bit of 'digital' and slight fatigue about it to these fussy ears.
    I even considered another CD Transport (Still might) but wanted to make sure I had eeked out the last bit of performance from it.
    I like modding my gear.

Back in the day i didnt really suscribe to the CD tweaks that were doing the rounds, green pens on the edge of CDs, CD demagnetisers and the like...
    But one thing that DID make me sit up and take notice was a clear damping film that you put over the CD to dampen vibrations and improved the sound.
    Still have the CD I put it on, and remember how it improved the sound. Things were more focussed and the image was more stable.

So... player vibration could affect CD playback?
    Not a daft concept if you think of the nM level a Redbook laser works on (never mind a Bluray) - any deviations got to affect something - right?

Remembering my experience with the CD damping film I wondered if there was any tweaks I could apply to the Oppo to help with that last bit of Digital-ness I was hearing.
    Turns out there was - big time.

Did my usual reading about online, and a couple of potential ideas came up.
    I was aware CD damping mats were a thing?
    As a fan of Herbies Audio Labs and their philosphy on vibration control with audio gear it was interesting to see their products kept coming up in forumland as a sane practical improvement to CD playback.
    Big fan of what they do, have their bits 'n bobs under my speakers, hifi rack and turntable so I know what they are about - their stuff does what it says on the tin.

So got a thing.

Under a mm thick,
    the side that sticks to the CD is a semi-tacky sillicone, you press it down onto the CD, the other side which interacts with the transport clamping mechanism is made from carbon fibre.

All Im hearing is improvement from my CDs

Sound is more relaxed, yet more details there.
    Biggest takeaway is that the soundstage is more locked in place, everythings more precise and in place, timbres improved too - a cello sounds more wooden and strings sound more like metal being rasped on.
    Its great.

The Oppo is my movie player too, so tried it on some blurays.
    Wow, improvements are more noticable with movies.

The image is more 'locked in place', more noticable contrast between static elements and any moving stuff in any scene. The picture is more Solid and 'there'.
    Bigger improvement with movies over audio CDs.

Dont know how a carbon fibre/sillicone mat can improve with time on it, but not paying attention to that.
    From the get-go CD and particularly bluray moves are improved signigicantly with this 2" donut.

No brainer for any physical media folks, just get one.

Seriously.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 05-05-2024 at 15:15.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2565737475