+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Maximising sound quality from USB

I'm Geoff.

Have you looked at something like the HRT MusicStreamerII?

https://www.whathifi.com/hrt/music-streamer-ii/review

Ultimate in simplicity. Asynchronous USB input at one end. RCA phono outputs at the other. Works with whatever you are playing on your pc.

I have one in the cupboard somewhere. Very relaxed sound.

I'm Kevin.

Thanks for the link.
    I have only looked at R2R DACs recently as I think I have come to the conclusion that the source (streaming) is the issue, and as my digital side is pretty transparent (RME ADI-2 DAC FS, Topping Pre90 and Nuerochrome Modulus 686) that if the source is not great, than the output is not great. CD sounds better to me than streaming at the same bit rate or a (apparently) higher bit rate.

I don’t think a different streamer will change that. I am also limited by the inputs on the Pre90. Both are taken, so to change the sound the best option is probably an R2R DAC to give me a more analogue sound, or to play around with REW and see if I need to sort my room out, or change the PEQ on the DAC.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    So listening to FLAC files stored on my music server, it sounds pretty good.
    Streaming the audio direct from Amazon HD sounds less good. Is this just the problem with internet streaming?
    It sounds richer/fuller from the local files. I use Amazon as it gives me a cheaper family subscription, and this is not something I really want to change.
    first question to ask is are you comparing the same masterings? Does Amazon even advise which mastering they offer?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Kevin.

Nope.
    Kevin

I'm Steve.

If the lesser SQ from Amazon HD is bothering you, maybe you could try a free trial session from one of the rival streamers and see what you may be missing. Like Tidal, or as they call it down your way Le Tidal.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Kevin.

The thought had crossed my mind, but the other thought is to just put up with it and buy more vinyl.
    Seen a second hand Audio-GD R1 for sale, which looks tempting, although the following video would suggest a DAC change will do "very little" to change things..

Kevin

I'm Kevin.

Tidal won't let me have a free trial.

I must have done that before, probably many years ago.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

Tidal HiFi+ trial has begun.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

There seems to be very little difference between them on a few tracks I have listened to.

I think I am expecting too much.
    Kevin

I'm Martin.

with CD or CD copied to local drive you've got absolute control over the mastering choice and the delivery mechanism.

CD is even simpler since there can be pitfalls in integrating a computer to get the data off the drive and send it to the DAC

With a streaming service you're at the mercy of whatever they shove down the pipe. I mean they could do anything to it, as well as only offering the latest, super-compressed mastering
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast