+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Office System picture thread

I'm graham.

Default The Office System picture thread

spurred on by Bob's Office System thread I thought I would start a thread for us lesser mortals wot has much more modest setups. Here is my gear! An Ariston (yes, you read that correctly) amplifier powering a small pair of Tannoy something or others bought for the princely sum of £30 including postage I then doubled the value of the system by adding the tape player (£36 plus post) the tuner and CD player were from somewhere and cost me nothing (somewhere is somewhere I don't remember) and although the CD player is a bit selective sometimes as to what it will play the tuner is excellent.

This is a pic of Mission Control:

You just can't beat working from home.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Nice! How does the R to R sound?

I'm graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Nice! How does the R to R sound?
    Oh Boy, am I on a learning curve with that!
    This is what it looked like two weeks ago:

And for the observant amongst you, yes, that is soundcheck plasterboard. Two layers in fact.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Bloody hell Graham, that's one heck of a transformation for two weeks

Nice going fella Very nice indeed...
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Indeed!

I'm Rob.

I used that soundcheck plasterboard when I made a room in the garage last year (35kg a sheet!!) it was fun putting it up on the ceiling. I also used acoustic grade fibreglass insulation, then the polystyrene bats and then the PB. Really well insuated for both heat and sound.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Was it worth it?

I'm graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Bloody hell Graham, that's one heck of a transformation for two weeks

Nice going fella Very nice indeed...
    Well, I would have finished it last week if I hadn't fallen off a ladder (a box really) while painting the ceiling and grabbing a nail on the way down! I am still shuffling around like the bloody Hunchback of Notre Dame! I did have a good labourer helping too. I built a new roof inside the roof because the original asbestos roof will need replacing sooner or later. This allowed me to really stuff the new rafters with Rockwool and then more Kingspan directly over the rafters. You can scream the bloody place down and around the back you can't hear a thing! As soon as I am up to replacing the windows with the new (armoured) double glazed units i'll be able to commit murder in there and nobody would hear a thing!!!

Better shot of the system, I will be moving the speakers onto the back wall on brackets a bit like Bob has in his office, very monaurial at the mo'.

The new speaker cables you see hanging from my magnifying lamp are my nice new Black Rhodium Twist cables which will be installed and reviewed very, very soon!

I'm graham.

Was it worth it?
    If you mean the soundcheck? Yes, very much so. There are very many ways in which to control the sound in a room and in my experience it is far, far easier to start from the actual base building work than to carry out "remedial" work later on.
    I know of one person at least who has put a layer of this stuff on the ceiling of his flat to stop the noise. A total waste of effort. You need to create a physical barrier, remove any actual new material contact from the original material, in order for this to be successful. I have quite a bit of experience of this now and if you put a layer of soundcheck board on your new studs, which are seperated from your original wall, as mine are, THEN put another layer on top of it you are cooking with gas. Near impossible to hear a scream outside.

If you are thinking of using the board to soundproof an existing room I would strongly suggest you use these:
    http://www.soundservice.co.uk/instal...lient_bar.html

I have used Soundservice for materials and they give good impartial advice. If you are thinking of just lashing something onto the walls or ceilings to stop sound, think again and save your money.
    Last edited by northwest; 08-06-2012 at 21:01. Reason: spelling

I'm Rob.

Was it worth it?
    Definitely. I have a room 10 X 17 (previously in the study 8x8). I could go deaf before anyone heard me
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast