+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: CDs help make my life a bore.

I'm stu.

Can't say i ever get excited by a cd dropping through the letter box.
    I just rip it and store in the loft.(must get them down to sell)

Much prefer the whole lp experience.

I'm Geoff.

Stu, I take it those are your home built speakers in the Avatar photo. Tell me something about them, they look interesting.

Geoff.

I'm Shaun.

I adore the whole vinyl experience a helluva lot as it kind of makes the whole thing complete. All I need now to make it totally complete is a Michell Orbe with an SME V and a Koetsu Black. Any offers on that one...???

I'm stu.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Stu, I take it those are your home built speakers in the Avatar photo. Tell me something about them, they look interesting.

Geoff.
    Geoff the bass cab is home made but not by me.

It is a grf copy with cherry veneer and a 15" eminence speaker.
    The mid is coral m100 with le cleach horn and the tweeters are both coral h104.

Tweeter pic

Mid pic.

I'm Josie.

LP's seem to have a more organic sound, even when the vinyl is crackly there is something still more pleasing than a clinical cd. Although I love the way my cdp sounds it's still not as relaxing as vinyl.

It can sometimes depend on mood but if you ask me they got it right first time, everything since has been fun (and remains so) but the good ol' LP is still the nicest most true sound to listen to.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by isuckedmandelsonslemons View Post
    Didn't know HMV had a used section. I was bored today when I bought 16 CDs from That's Entertainment for £30. Less than £2 each and all of them very good albums
    What sort of music and artists ?
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Geoff.

[QUOTE=chelsea;394271]Geoff the bass cab is home made but not by me.

It is a grf copy with cherry veneer and a 15" eminence speaker.
    The mid is coral m100 with le cleach horn and the tweeters are both coral h104.

Wow! Sounds like a very potent design, I'd like to hear them.

I love Coral drivers, fabulous quality. Not many people remember them. I always wanted a pair of the 12L-60 bass drivers, but never found a pair.

Back in the eighties, I built a pair of huge folded horn speakers using Coral Beta 10 full range units and Russian super tweeters. These looked like 10" Lowthers, they sounded incredible, 102db efficiency! There's a (poor) picture below taken at the testing stage, they weren't wired up properly. Wish I had them now, the drive units sell for a small fortune nowadays.

I still have a pair or two of Coral titanium dome super-tweeters, but that's all. Still got the drive unit brochures and cabinet designs though.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 19-12-2012 at 19:49.

I'm Shane.

They look nice Geoff. Never heard those drive units before...Are they made in the UK?

Be good if you still had that speaker! Maybe you should look out for some Coral full range drivers again?

I'm Harry.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    What sort of music and artists ?
    Range of stuff. Bonnie Raitt, Fleetwood Mac, Police, Johnny Winter.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by isuckedmandelsonslemons View Post
    Range of stuff. Bonnie Raitt, Fleetwood Mac, Police, Johnny Winter.
    Thanks. Worth popping in then
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast