+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: CDs help make my life a bore.

I'm Martin.

Well in theory CD should be the better source. And it is with some recordings I feel. With vinyl we have the curious situation where the measured weaknesses are actually strengths in practice. As a result it is 'easier' to listen to. I read once that the difference between digital and analogue is that digitasl is processed and analogue is mechanically recovered. Anyway - I resisited CD for a long time. Now I have a CD set up that, to me, sounds a lot like a good reel-to -reel, so I just pretend it is one when I have a CD on
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by nat8808 View Post
    Hmm... I have emotional connections with music via MP3, bad cassette, weak radio stations, scratched up vinyl, 64kbp mono DAB.

It's the music that has the emotional connection, for me anyway..
    Me too - I get an emotional kick from the music regardless of format, but with vinyl that emotional attachment extends to the physical object and its use too. From flipping through crates of dusty lps in a charity shop or old-fashioned record shop, cleaning the record on my Moth rcm, cataloging my vinyl collection on Discogs to the ritual of putting the record on the platter and lowering the arm, vinyl gives me a thrill that cd just can't. When listening to vinyl the lp sleeve usually stays on my knee whilst I study the sleeve notes and gaze at the cover picture.

When I get a cd it goes straight into my pc for ripping and then gets unceremoniously tossed into a cardboard box with hundreds of others never to see the light of day again.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by keiths View Post
    When I get a cd it goes straight into my pc for ripping and then gets unceremoniously tossed into a cardboard box with hundreds of others never to see the light of day again.
    Arr - 'tis a cruel life for a CD up in High Peak arrr
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Well in theory CD should be the better source. And it is with some recordings I feel. With vinyl we have the curious situation where the measured weaknesses are actually strengths in practice. As a result it is 'easier' to listen to. I read once that the difference between digital and analogue is that digitasl is processed and analogue is mechanically recovered. Anyway - I resisited CD for a long time. Now I have a CD set up that, to me, sounds a lot like a good reel-to -reel, so I just pretend it is one when I have a CD on
    I like that, Martin. Bit of a novel approach. I'll have to try it.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Quote Originally Posted by keiths View Post
    Me too - I get an emotional kick from the music regardless of format, but with vinyl that emotional attachment extends to the physical object and its use too. From flipping through crates of dusty lps in a charity shop or old-fashioned record shop, cleaning the record on my Moth rcm, cataloging my vinyl collection on Discogs to the ritual of putting the record on the platter and lowering the arm, vinyl gives me a thrill that cd just can't. When listening to vinyl the lp sleeve usually stays on my knee whilst I study the sleeve notes and gaze at the cover picture.

Ah, somewhere down the line you decided to not treat CD as you did vinyl - that's something you now have to live with and hard to recover. Nothing you've described is about the 12" black plastic as opposed to 7" silver plastic - it's to do with association, your reminiscences, seeing yourself as part of a vinyl lover's club etc etc.

Kind of a good reason for not streaming - encourages you to treat CDs with disdain. Imagine if you just ripped your LPs and slung them in a box never to be seen again. In fact, why don't you?

Find yourself a good secondhand shop, flip through the rack of CDs, get excited about the MUSIC on the CD perhaps a a long deleted CD only release, take it home, give it a good clean on the CD polisher (whilst you make a cup of coffee) so that it's perfect, go through the ritual of turning on your exotic transport and DAC - maybe watch the DAC valves begin to warm up and glow - carefully place the CD on the spindle and place the puck precisely in place, close the top loader. Feel the excitement as you hear it read the unique, rare TOC and make your way to your listening seat where your coffee is waiting for you to press that play button on the one-piece, hewn from solid marble, remote control..

I forgot the part about reading the sleeve notes and having the long glossy fold-out strewn across your lap. And going online to list your CD collection somewhere.

Why don't people go through that with CD? It's psychological and is within everyone's control, kind of a vinyl group-think that encourages it with vinyl and not CD. Up to you though to try to enjoy everything in life as you wish.

I'm Geoff.

I agree it's the content that matters, not the format.

I have to say I never read album sleeves or insert notes.

I'm much like that with books, I avoid reading the back cover summaries and introductory reviews and have a pile of unread books next to my bed which I pick up and start readng at random without looking at the cover or title. I enjoy a surprise. Like music albums (which I also often buy without knowing anything about), much is dross, but there's the occasional 'keeper'!

I'm Dave.

It's a good thing we're all different or life would be such a bore.
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm andrew.

A well produced/mastered cd can sound excellent with the right equipment, I have plenty of mediocre sounding vinyl.
    Andy.

I'm Neil.

It certainly wasn't boring nipping into HMV & getting 12x classic albums (Beck, Massive Attack, Bjork etc.) for £16 from their used section as everyone continues to sell off their CD collections.

Personally, I don't really care what format it's in as long as it's physical media.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Harry.

Didn't know HMV had a used section. I was bored today when I bought 16 CDs from That's Entertainment for £30. Less than £2 each and all of them very good albums. 16 CDs for the price of one lump of vinyl. I'm prepared for them to sound shite on my system for that

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast