+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sony ES CD players.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    Thanks for the further input chaps - looks like I've just scored myself a very clean X303ES for not a lot of cash, and the seller lives locally.

Another big black box to sit upon le shelf.
    Had one of those, ideal starting point to see how you get on with them Good ergonomics & the TOC/track access speed makes most other players seem broken.

Would be very interested to hear how it compares to the D3

I'm Buffet-blower.

Will let you know how it goes James.

As for the little D3, the CA DacMagic hasn't had a lot of use this last week or so. Whilst the Fiio is not better (or at least not by a huge margin overall) it's causing my to pinch myself at how bloody good it is...for less than 30 quid.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Rob.

Sweet
    Michell Mycro / AT33PTG/II | Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk | Yamaha CD-NT670D | Bryston B60R | ATC SCM10

I'm Paul.

Hi Gromit,

I had a CDP-339ES prior to getting my current CD player and I have to say it was really good - I took a long time to upgrade because I couldn't find anything sub £1000 to match it (the Sony cost only £400 new) and ended up buying my Naim CDI second hand...

I believe they made a 559 and 779ES and these were also rated highly at the time.

The 337ES which was it's predecessor wasn't in the same league unfortunately.

I was planning on keeping mine for a second system but unfortunately something failed which resulted in the tray staying open all of the time - i tried to get Sony to repair it but they weren't interested so reluctantly it had to go and visit Hifi heaven!

Paul.
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    Hi Gromit,

I had a CDP-339ES prior to getting my current CD player and I have to say it was really good - I took a long time to upgrade because I couldn't find anything sub £1000 to match it (the Sony cost only £400 new) and ended up buying my Naim CDI second hand...

I believe they made a 559 and 779ES and these were also rated highly at the time.

The 337ES which was it's predecessor wasn't in the same league unfortunately.

I was planning on keeping mine for a second system but unfortunately something failed which resulted in the tray staying open all of the time - i tried to get Sony to repair it but they weren't interested so reluctantly it had to go and visit Hifi heaven!

Paul.
    Shame - the laser unit would have been worth a fair bit keeping other ES machines higher up the range alive.

I'd have ripped ur arm off for it 4 or 5 years ago (ended buying a 339 to get my 707 going)

Richard

I'm Buffet-blower.

Here it is...and apologies for the totally dreadful photo:

Built like a brick outhouse - weighs nearly as much as the amp.
    Richard.

Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice... How's it sounding, Richard?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice... How's it sounding, Richard?

Marco.
    Really good Marco (Jeez that was some description!).

Seriously though, it's a big-sounding player, fairly full at the bottom and quite 'undigital' if that makes sense? I don't believe in describing things as 'analogue' as stuff either sounds right or it doesn't but digital nasties ie glassy top end, 'hash' etc are where I think we can be a little bit more objective (oops the 'O' word crept in). Ashkenazy's Steinway (Rachmaninov Etudes-Tableaux) sounds full and rich with lots of body resonance and musical direction/momentum. Lush, romantic, exciting. As Rachmaninov should be.

Haven't plugged it into either the Dacmagic or the little Fiio D3 yet but will get round to it when I've the time. Just intend spending a few days now with my new player as Mr Sony intended. Admittedly it's not in the higher echelons of Sony ES-dom but it's a lovely thing to have sat on the shelf with its matching amp and tuner. Little touches like the (metal) CD tray moves in and out with hardly a noise of resonant mechanics within.

For 80 quid I'm not complaining.
    Richard.

I'm Nigel.

£80, nice, bargain, just enjoy.

regards

Nigel

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

I've a 552ESD, 555esd and a 337ESD.

The 5s are in the top range of the time and the 3 second from top of the time. This is European numbering anyway.

The 5s have fantastic build quality I must say - the 552ESD is my favourite in that sense.

However, the 337 is the only one that actually works - I bought it to see if I could Lampizate it (NOS and valve output stage) but saw them selling at twice what I bought it for so never touched it, intending to put on eBay. Then I found a the 555 needing repair for £80 instead - has a dead pick-up (suspect laser power supply caps - will recap everything at some point) The 552 doesn't want to read discs but only cost me £10.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast