+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PC motherboard SPDIF header connection

I'm Keith.

Default PC motherboard SPDIF header connection

Hi All,

I'm about to replace my ancient HP tower that I use as my music streamer. This is currently running XBMC, but would like to move to something quieter, smaller and leaner. I have a mini-itx dual-core Intel Atom board on the way that I picked up cheaply second hand together with 1GB DDR-3 RAM. I have a 16GB SSD left over from another project and intend to case these up in a small fanless case with a pico psu and external power brick. I'll then use Voyage MPD to stream (music files stored on my existing Linux server) to my Caiman DAC. The PC will be headless with control via MPDroid Android client (initially on my phone, but if this all works well I intend to get a cheap Android tablet).

The motherboard in question has a standard 3-pin SPDIF out header with the pins labelled GND/SPDIF/+5V. I've had a search around and have seen reference to simply connecting a BNC socket to the SPDIF and GND header pins - I guess the +5V would only be needed to provide power for TOSLINK? Anyone know if this is correct and it is that simple - add an insulated 75 ohm BNC socket to the back of the case and wire it up?

Would adding a pulse transformer be a good idea? - if so where do I get one (or is it a case of winding my own - if so what bits do I need to buy and how do I wind it?)

Cheers
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Neal.

Depends on what is already on the motherboard, however, yes a Pulse TX is a good idea with some notional 75 Ohm termination.

IE:

Without a TDR you can only guess at what the correct termination will be but its better than nothing!

Edit:

For a Pulse TX you need something like a Murata 76601/3c, get something with similar specs.
    Last edited by NRG; 27-10-2012 at 21:15.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Neal.

A good web page with some ideas on output circuits:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Keith.

Many thanks for that Neal.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Chris.

I've wired a phono socket up to the two spdif pins on 3 or 4 PCs and it's always worked fine for me - certainly no noticeable noise/interference.

Currently using that option with a dual-core atom motherboard into my Rega Dac and I'd say there's no difference sound wise between that and the coax out from my squeezebox into the same Dac on the other COAX in port.

I just cut through an old IC cable and soldered it to a 2 pin motherboard connector and covered the join with heat-shrink tubing.

Chris
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread