+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Mac Mini

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Al View Post
    PC / Windows

I remember those days , spent hours booting up / hours running anti virus programs , got fed up with de fraging then switched off as I became bored

I then Seen the light " alleluia brother " i Mac

NEVER again will my doorway be darkened by anything Microsoft / PC

I am cured and content

I don't know what the problem is... Or should I say, your previous problems.

Less than 30 seconds to boot up, never had a virus - EVER! Only malware I have had was from a crack that was on a CD to get Nero to work.

As for a defragmentation program, you didn't use windows own one did you? Did you use their firewall as well?

I can defrag my main C drive in less than a minute & have it close packed on an NTFS system with zero fragments... Unlike the standard windoze defragger that would say it didn't need anything doing

I guess you just stuck with what you were given, I know I'd get fed up with that to...

Nothing at all wrong with a windows based machine, just don't use half of the windows cobblers programs that are already there, install better ones.

Jobs a good one
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm fuckoff.

It cracks me up hearing the hushed tones of awe that people speak about Apple at my work.

"It can't even get a virus you know"

My boss is the biggest Apple fanboi going; people come to him to ask what they should get etc (he's a 'guru'). The funny thing is, they don't tell him what they need it for, they just get told yes, and that's enough for them

Gotta laugh.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    ...and linux?
    Linux is OK, but often runs on machines which started off as Windows PCs.
    Many of them are really not so well made, take up too much space and have noisy fans. There are some good ones, but the good ones tend to be as expensive as Macs anyway. I have an iMac and a PC at work. The PC may be faster - it's quite impressive, but I hardly ever turn it on as the fan is so noisy - and realistically it's only moderate - I've heard worse. The iMac, OTOH, is virtually silent. The iMac I have at home is slightly noisier. It's got noisier - but it's still fairly quiet, and compared with most PCs it's not noticeable.

if I want to run Linux I'm quite likely to run it on a Mac, though what does Linux have that Macs don't? Games players are likely to prefer PCs, but that's not my world.
    Dave

I'm Doug.

Like cars, usually the highest "cost" is depreciation. I am now on my 3rd macbook. I sold the first one for 60% of its cost after 2 1/2 years, and the second for 75% after 2 years.

I bought a mac mini a few months ago - increased the RAM to 16Gb and added a SSD drive. It runs Windows 7 via Parallels virtualisation quite well.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Many of them are really not so well made, take up too much space and have noisy fans. There are some good ones, but the good ones tend to be as expensive as Macs anyway. I have an iMac and a PC at work. The PC may be faster - it's quite impressive, but I hardly ever turn it on as the fan is so noisy - and realistically it's only moderate - I've heard worse. The iMac, OTOH, is virtually silent. The iMac I have at home is slightly noisier. It's got noisier - but it's still fairly quiet, and compared with most PCs it's not noticeable.

if I want to run Linux I'm quite likely to run it on a Mac, though what does Linux have that Macs don't? Games players are likely to prefer PCs, but that's not my world.
    ...here's my noisy, and resource intensive Linux media server

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/QNAP-...AS-Evaluation/

Silent apart from HD

12W running, 5W sleeping, 0W on overnight power scheduled shut-down

Incremental Q-RAID disk mirroring

...£200 + hd and it's been running perfectly for 3 years

All my SBs are linux devices/appliences, and I also have a Raspberry Pi running XBMC media centre very well...at £34

I think you need to research Linux a little more...

EDIT; Damn, I forgot my linux based Android phone, from which I can control my Server O/S, My entire SB network, it can also be an SB player, and I can control my Raspberry Pi from there too...not to mention I can also load it up with 64Gb of FLAC (onto an upgradable SD card), and actually play it!!!
    Cheers, Will

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinh View Post
    Better not mention the other new products Dave, or you'll get lynched

IMac
    iPhone 5
    iPad mini
    iPod touch
    iPod mini
    MacBook PRO with retina display
    Mac mini

All launched in the last month or so.

Cheers,
    No Air with Retina display.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post

My PC is totally silent, I made it that way

That old chestnut about Windows PC users being plebeian gamers is about as old as the one which says all Mac users are snooty fashionistas...

One can install Linux for zero outlay (which is a BIG bonus) on a machine that can be built to suit your own specifications. Remember, a Mac is a PC too, it's just not quite as flexible as a traditional component build product.
    Last edited by synsei; 25-10-2012 at 09:44.

I'm Neal.

Agreed, so much bigotry comes to the surface in these 'debates'. Use what you like and get on with its your choice just don't ram it down somebody else's throat.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Agreed, so much bigotry comes to the surface in these 'debates'.
    Indeed, it's all very disagreeable and totally unnecessary...

Use what you like and get on with its your choice just don't ram it down somebody else's throat.
    Something I should have added to my post...

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    No Air with Retina display.
    Just testing to see if anyone was awake.

One to add:

iPad 4

cheers,
    Martin

Source: Sonos CONNECT DAC: Rega DAC Amp: Rega Brio-R Speakers: Neat Motive 2.

My system photos

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast