+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USB Dac/amplifier

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by pete_mac View Post
    Check out the hifimediy USB Sabre ESS9023 DAC via ebay for about USD$50 delivered (around 35 pounds or so?)

Silly value for money, and some of the feedback on various forums is quite positive given the price.

I bought one last week and it will be added to the PC audio system in our bedroom shortly, as I gave our original USB DAC to a friend and the quality (or lack thereof!) of the onboard PC sound is driving me batty!
    Wow! Is it this one?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hifimediy-...item20cb2a3799
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Will.

Check out the hifimediy USB Sabre ESS9023 DAC via ebay for about USD$50 delivered (around 35 pounds or so?)

Silly value for money, and some of the feedback on various forums is quite positive given the price.

I bought one last week and it will be added to the PC audio system in our bedroom shortly, as I gave our original USB DAC to a friend and the quality (or lack thereof!) of the onboard PC sound is driving me batty!
    It only appears to have a headphone out, so no line out (is that correct?), and no volume control so you'd need to use the computer volume control...then we're into the realms of re-sampling etc.

Or is it a line out via a headphone jack?
    Last edited by WAD62; 15-10-2012 at 07:21.
    Cheers, Will

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    It only appears to have a headphone out, so no line out (is that correct?), and no volume control so you'd need to use the computer volume control...then we're into the realms of re-sampling etc.

Or is it a line out via a headphone jack?
    It recommends connecting to an amp/preamp so, in my case, I would need a 3.5mm to dual RCA cable so that I could plug into an amp.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    It recommends connecting to an amp/preamp so, in my case, I would need a 3.5mm to dual RCA cable so that I could plug into an amp.
    So it's a line out via a mini jack then...same as the FiiO E10

That changes things a bit, looks interesting if that is the case
    Cheers, Will

I'm Jerry.

I bet Leo will come along now and tell us how crap it is!
    Jerry

I'm Pete.

That is indeed the case
    ••• Logitech Squeezebox Touch > audio-gd NFB3(2014) w/ E9018 > fully recapped/restored Sansui AU-X701 and AU-719 > a healthy sprinkling of expectation bias > PMC GB1i speakers > Aurealis and Audio Principe cables •••

I'm Pete.

Yessir!
    ••• Logitech Squeezebox Touch > audio-gd NFB3(2014) w/ E9018 > fully recapped/restored Sansui AU-X701 and AU-719 > a healthy sprinkling of expectation bias > PMC GB1i speakers > Aurealis and Audio Principe cables •••

I'm Jerry.

I have one ordered so I shall post a few comments after it arrives. Are you pleased with it Pete?
    You can get an adapter for RCA plugs, they are on ebay.
    Jerry

I'm Pete.

I have one ordered so I shall post a few comments after it arrives. Are you pleased with it Pete?
    You can get an adapter for RCA plugs, they are on ebay.
    Mine is still in transit, so I can't provide any feeback yet.

I'll definitely let you know what I think once it arrives. I will also try it in my main rig, as my SB Touch has the EDO mods applied which enables the USB input to be used as a USB output to a DAC. It will be VERY interesting to hear how this USD$50 Sabre DAC compares to the onboard SB Touch DAC, and also how it compares against my audio-gd PCM1704UK DAC.

I'm Glen.

Mine is still in transit, so I can't provide any feeback yet.

I'll definitely let you know what I think once it arrives. I will also try it in my main rig, as my SB Touch has the EDO mods applied which enables the USB input to be used as a USB output to a DAC. It will be VERY interesting to hear how this USD$50 Sabre DAC compares to the onboard SB Touch DAC, and also how it compares against my audio-gd PCM1704UK DAC.
    I have just bought a Touch and would really like to hear your thoughts on this DAC too. I would like to improve the Touch, but sadly money is at a premium...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast