+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USB Dac/amplifier

I'm Jerry.

Default USB Dac/amplifier

I want to use an old pair of JPW speakers connected to my computer as all the computer speakers I have heard are poo. As all it will be used for is some background Spotify and odd bits of music off You Tube it doesnt have to be very high quality but it does need to be cheap!
    Anything you recommend?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Jerry.

Thanks Chris,
    I wanted one with a dac built in but I suppose it would be cheaper to buy one separately.
    I used to use a T-amp but it has gone to the great amplifier heaven in the sky.....
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    I used to use a T-amp but it has gone to the great amplifier heaven in the sky.....
    Well get another one you cheapskate, they're heap enough from HK/China
    That's where my 3 came from.
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Mike.

If you do go down separate amp and dac route I might have a gatorized caimen for sale. Let me know- fancy moving on to a bushmaster.

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Looks like its for headphones only-no amp for speakers
    Jerry

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Well get another one you cheapskate, they're heap enough from HK/China
    That's where my 3 came from.
    Dave.
    I will probably get one from there Dave. Is it the 2020 chip that's supposed to be good?
    Wanted one with a USB dac built in but I suppose it makes little difference if I buy one separately.
    Jerry

I'm Noonian.

I'll think you'll find the 2020 chip based amp quite pleasing. Good detail and surprising warmth.

Although there are a fair few different Chinese manufacturers making amps with the Tripath 2020 chip, I'd recommend the Topping TA20 due to superior build quality.

You can pick one up from Amazon for about £45 inc delivery

I'm Confused.

I've heard good things about the SQ and build quality of the Toppings but never heard one. IMO the SQ of the HK/Chinese is fine and I've had no problems with any of my 3 - mine were bought from Peter at Indeed HiFi Labs on eBay but the last time I looked he had nothing listed. Mine are TA2020 and I really like what they do.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast