+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: would a decent transport outperform my DAC/PC ?

I'm andrew.

I think Simon is inferring that those dissatisfied Windows users have not got their machines set up correctly for audio
    playback.
    Andy.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by roob View Post
    I think Simon is inferring that those dissatisfied Windows users have not got their machines set up correctly for audio
    playback.
    If that's correct, I agree.
    The first area to investigate is ground-loops. This is the most damaging issue in computer based audio because it is insidious. Common mode noise causes sensitive circuits to perform rather badly as the ground reference is disturbed by this noise.
    Check this initially by trying a laptop running on batteries. If there is an improvement in the sound, it is most likely CM noise. Test it by grounding the laptop & seeing if the sound remains the same or not.
    Silence just got quieter

MOT: Isolated Power devices www.ciunas.biz
    John

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by jkeny View Post
    If that's correct, I agree.
    The first area to investigate is ground-loops. This is the most damaging issue in computer based audio because it is insidious. Common mode noise causes sensitive circuits to perform rather badly as the ground reference is disturbed by this noise.
    Check this initially by trying a laptop running on batteries. If there is an improvement in the sound, it is most likely CM noise. Test it by grounding the laptop & seeing if the sound remains the same or not.
    Couldn’t agree more regarding the grounding issues. I came to the conclusion that one of the factors that give a purpose built file server an edge over a properly set up laptop is the grounding along with what supplies power where.
    Some Dacs seem more sensitive to grounding issues than others.

To answer the OP, I haven’t heard a CD transport or player that can outperform a well set up file system yet.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Deleted.

Is it that an Apple is so much more expensive than the competition that owners can't face the idea of buying a transport too?

Account Deleted

I'm stu.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    "would a decent transport outperform my DAC/PC ?"

Yes, that is certainly my experience.

I've done several comparisons, including a bake-off specifically arranged to do such a comparison - a good CD transport won every time.

Word on the street is that some of the new streaming devices have got this sorted - including the one from NVA that Marco and Ali have tried, I think. The Lampizator streamer also gets good reviews. But they are very expensive. A decent Pioneer stable platter CDP used as a transport costs less than £100 and easily beats SBTs as well as some very sophisticated streaming setups etc, imho.

Is it on general sale yet?
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

Alex_UK is online now Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Well I totally disagree with that opinion Jerry, ain't no way a Pioneer stable platter CDP is going to sound better than a properly configured file based audio system - if it does, then you are doing something wrong (IMHO)
    Me too, but then I've only tried a few CDP transports... Still, blown away by all the File Based systems I've tried!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by chelsea View Post
    Is it on general sale yet?
    Yes, available on eBay.

NVA TFS - Computer Hifi / Digital Streamer

"People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm stu.

Cheers.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Funny how it's always windows users saying streaming isn't as good as a decent transport into a dac. I wonder what the determining factor is? ;-)
    When I was using Windows XP > FLAC or WAV > Foobar2000 > ASIO > HagUSB it sounded good, and so did the HiFace that replaced the HagUSB, but neither are at the level of my reference CD transport.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    When I was using Windows XP > FLAC or WAV > Foobar2000 > ASIO > HagUSB it sounded good, and so did the HiFace that replaced the HagUSB, but neither are at the level of my reference CD transport.
    Mainly out of curiosity and the more recent comparison of John's laptop with Martins Ayre CD player, what is this refernce CD transport?
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast