+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: would a decent transport outperform my DAC/PC ?

I'm andrew.

I also run a Macbook/Pure Music into the same dac via async usb, its close but the clock linked Pioneer edges in front, it just sounds more natural.
    Andy.

I'm Nuno.

I can buy a Mac mini, too!

I'm andrew.

Yep a Mac Mini would be nice along with a Hiface 2 to go between it and your dac
    Andy.

I'm Nuno.

Quote Originally Posted by jkeny View Post
    JPlay will improve your sound - try the demo at JPlay.eu.
    Can I still run Foobar with JPlay in the background, like I did with the demo?

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    A decent Pioneer stable platter CDP used as a transport costs less than £100 and easily beats SBTs as well as some very sophisticated streaming setups etc, imho.
    Well I totally disagree with that opinion Jerry, ain't no way a Pioneer stable platter CDP is going to sound better than a properly configured file based audio system - if it does, then you are doing something wrong (IMHO)
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by nbaptista View Post
    Can I still run Foobar with JPlay in the background, like I did with the demo?
    Yes, the full version of Jplay is the same code as the demo minus the code that inserts gaps in the music.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm ILOB.

I brought my laptop and DAC to a few systems and so far compairing like for like recordings I not heard a Transport and DAC beat this combination
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Well I totally disagree with that opinion Jerry, ain't no way a Pioneer stable platter CDP is going to sound better than a properly configured file based audio system - if it does, then you are doing something wrong (IMHO)
    I agree, an un-modified Pioneer sounded pretty average to me when I tried it with my dac.
    Andy.

I'm Simon.

Funny how it's always windows users saying streaming isn't as good as a decent transport into a dac. I wonder what the determining factor is? ;-)
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Funny how it's always windows users saying streaming isn't as good as a decent transport into a dac. I wonder what the determining factor is? ;-)
    Is that the case? John on an active thread (visit to MartinT) uses Windows with JPLAY, as I do. I have a friend who uses JPLAY under Windows on a Mac. We're all doing this because we find the transports we've tried lacking. Of course we've not tried all transports.....

I think also there's an idealogical aspect, ie do you want to stick with CD or go file-based, either because you want flexibility files bring or you see little future in the silver disk.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast