+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: would a decent transport outperform my DAC/PC ?

I'm Nuno.

Default would a decent transport outperform my DAC/PC ?

Hello,
    I´m running my Rega DAC with my PC with Foobar 2000 and EAC for ripping cd´s. I prefer this comb to my low budget Cambridge 340 C as a transport!Much better timing and Prat in general with the PC. Would a Rega Apoolo R or a Cyrus CDT transport improve the sound and outperform the PC/DAC comb?
    The next month I will try hear it for myself!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I doubt that another transport is going to be any better than the PC.
    What OS is on the computer, and have you utilised ASIO (for WinXP) or Wasapi (for Vista & Win7) drivers for Foobar?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Nuno.

Wasapi for Win 7

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Welcome to the world of file based music playback.
    A transport might give a different sounding version of events, but the data stream off it is likely to be less accurate than a securely ripped CD off a HDD.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Nuno.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Welcome to the world of file based music playback.
    Yes, indeed.
    It's great

I'm John.

JPlay will improve your sound - try the demo at JPlay.eu.

You could try using a better USB transport into your Rega DAC.

I have organised a tour of my USB devices, both DACs & USBto SPDIF device, here. You could sign-up but I see you are in Portugal & will be touring the UK first.

There are my recommendations for best sound from a PC in my user guide which might be worth reading - here?
    Silence just got quieter

MOT: Isolated Power devices www.ciunas.biz
    John

I'm Clive.

I give a big vote for Jplay too. The cut down JPLAYmini, which doesn't have a sexy user interface, sounds to my ears rather better than when used with Foobar or Jriver. Give Jplay a try. There's no way I'll be going back to my optimised Foobar.....
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm gone.

"would a decent transport outperform my DAC/PC ?"

Yes, that is certainly my experience.

I've done several comparisons, including a bake-off specifically arranged to do such a comparison - a good CD transport won every time.

Word on the street is that some of the new streaming devices have got this sorted - including the one from NVA that Marco and Ali have tried, I think. The Lampizator streamer also gets good reviews. But they are very expensive. A decent Pioneer stable platter CDP used as a transport costs less than £100 and easily beats SBTs as well as some very sophisticated streaming setups etc, imho.

I'm andrew.

A std Pioneer Stable platter cdp was nowhere near as good as a Chevron Audio clocked Teac P500 transport in my system.
    When the Teac laser went belly up I had the Pioneer clock linked to my dac, now its in a different league.
    Andy.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by roob View Post
    A std Pioneer Stable platter cdp was nowhere near as good as a Chevron Audio clocked Teac P500 transport in my system.
    When the Teac laser went belly up I had the Pioneer clock linked to my dac, now its in a different league.
    Well, OK.

Remember the "box swapper credo" -- there is always something better, or at least interestingly different!

So if a standard Pioneer stable platter is better, then a re-clocked one should punt most streamers into the weeds, no problemo!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast