+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pioneer A400.

I'm Rich.

I'm still running my A400 after 20 years of reliable service, I agree with some of the comments here... It has long since been outclassed and the phono stage is harsh and dreadful but with the right source it can be quite lovely. Over the years I've used it with a variety of sources and speakers including Pioneer PDS, Marantz and Technics CD players, a couple of dacs, Mission 760s, Ruark Talismans and most recently a pair of Celestion Ditton 15s which seemed to work very well with it.

Yes it has its critics but as my first proper amp it has been a real workhorse and seen more parties than I can remember. I've heard that with a good recap and some attention it can still outperform integrateds in the sub £1000 bracket, Jac Hawk on here was a good source of info about this. Myself I've never gone this route thinking the £250 this would require would be put towards a more recent Rega, Marantz, Arcam or Naim. I find the headphone output to be quite nice driving my 400ohm Beyerdynamic DT100.

I recently put the A400 up against my amptastic mini t and found there wasnt much in it, but kept the A400 going as it just sounded so much better with the dittons. The mini t will be its replacement if the A400 ever gives up the ghost.

Like some others here I've been a bit surprised by your choices Shane, especially given some of the gear you've sold on recently but I do know what its like when you find something which just works with your other gear, hence my recent decision to go all Rega for my main system.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Spartacus.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    You obviously didn't read the rave write up from the man who then went on to work for Pioneer..

We had one on dem, back in the day and it helped us to sell the Creek 4040.
    Yes, that HFC review by JB was such a rave I went out and bought one to see what the fuss was about. I must say it sounded clean, crisp and dynamic like a breath of fresh air (fed by a Gyrodec/PU3/Koetsu Black and Sumiko BPS into Spica TC-50 speakers back then). Made my AI S500 sound slow and bloated and Quad 405-2 dull and boring in comparison.

Unfortunately I don't think it has stood the test of time - my brother's unit in the family home sounds thin, flat and grey these days. Maybe it's age (the amp and/or me). Shane, if you wanted mellow I wouldn't have recommended this but if it works for you that's great. I would take the A400 to try with whatever speakers you plan to partner.
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm Shane.

Default Service.

Just wondering, are there some good competent places that do servicing to the Pioneer A400?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I think the local tidy-tip may offer the best service you could do to this amp

Seriously, why bother when there's so much better suited out there?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    Just wondering, are there some good competent places that do servicing to the Pioneer A400?
    I did look into it shane but couldnt find anywhere, a local pricey dealer wanted to charge £70 just for servicing. In the end i went with a can of switch cleaner and air duster...
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    You might try Red Hill Audio - http://www.redhillaudio.co.uk/pionee..._homepage.html

They are servicing my 405-2 at the moment ...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I think the local tidy-tip may offer the best service you could do to this amp

Seriously, why bother when there's so much better suited out there?

Stop being mean

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    You might try Red Hill Audio - http://www.redhillaudio.co.uk/pionee..._homepage.html

They are servicing my 405-2 at the moment ...
    Thanks for that, Julian.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12