+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaaggh - sick Cambridge Audio CA840C CD player

I'm Alex.

Default Aaaggh - sick Cambridge Audio CA840C CD player

Hi All,

I've noticed that output has suddenly dropped on the right channel on my CA 840C - probably by about 20%. I thought the sound had gone off somewhat, confirmed by the fact that my SB Touch now sounds better than it does (definately not the case before!).

Any ideas as to what I can look at before sending it away for a profesional to look at?

Regards,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Alex.

OK, anyone know of a tried and trusted repair technician in SW London / Surrey who may be able to take a look?

Regards,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Martin.

You should be able to get it fixed through Richer Sounds, must be one quite near to you. IME they won't mess you about.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Kev.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You should be able to get it fixed through Richer Sounds, must be one quite near to you. IME they won't mess you about.
    Richer Sounds were unable to fix my Cambridge Audio CD player, they had it nearly 4 weeks and it was still not working.
    Last edited by Hydie; 07-03-2012 at 17:50. Reason: Incorrect repair time.
    Kev

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydie View Post
    Richer Sounds were unable to fix my Cambridge Audio CD player, they had it nearly 4 weeks and it was still not working.
    Did they say why?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Kev.

No, they said it was fixed but when I got it home it was exactly the same, never been back! "Buy cheap buy twice" springs to mind.
    Kev

I'm Martin.

Well an 840c is not cheap, Iguess you had one from lower down the range. If you e-mailed Julian Richer about it you would probably get a result, depends on whether you think it is worth the hassle.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Kev.

I was passing judgement on mine being cheap, no-one elses. That's why it wasn't worth complaining, they were quite happy with their efforts.
    Kev

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If they take a unit for servicing, I believe they have a duty of care to getting it fixed properly. Irrespective of the cost, if they tried to repare it and failed, then they should have been notifed of this and at least had one more chance to fix it...

I had a fairly similar fault with my now all but valueless Arcam Delta 80 tuner, where one channel went down with distortion. After replacing the decoder chip, a follow-on op-amp and a couple of transistors to no avail, I was about to give up and then remembered the MUTING TRANSISTORS... Replacing this on the dud channel restored everything to full working order and once again I have a great sounding and incredibly undervalued FM/AM tuner which will see FM out I reckon...

I obviously have no idea if the 840C has such things (many players do), but this is *possibly* what it could be. Richer MUST have a half decent service dept - if they didn't, they're big enough for us all to know by now - so my advice is to call in and ask..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Alex.

To complicate matters further, my 840C has been significantly upgraded by Audiocom, so there might be a risk that the main board might get tossed in the bin!.

I admit I hadn't thought of taking it back to Richer sounds for service - presumably I can instruct them to take a look and report before doing anything. If there are board level repairs, maybe Mark at Audiocom will take a look at it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Alex

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast